Chapter 8

Trapped

I've always hated the quiet.

There was no specific reason, I just hated it.

Maybe it was because of the simplicity that allowed all the complexity of the world into it. In silence all others can hear is just that, while each specific person is hearing something raging in their own black hole.

When I was little I'd literally scream in the middle of a library to fill the suffocating silence.

I'm having a nightmare. It's only explanation on how impossibly unlucky I'd have to be to be literally trapped in a room full of darkness and silence, my only company being a taciturn man, who, at the moment, does not seem to be enjoying my presence.

"So...uh, how are you?" I said an embarrassing attempt to break the tension-filled stillness, physically face-palming at my words soon after.

"I'm fine." His voice was smooth and soft, but nobody could miss the hints of discomfort layering underneath.

"I asked how you are, not how you looked."

Oh, shit.

I needed to stop.

Why the hell was I like this?

My body stiffened in expectation for his undoubtedly negative reaction.

It's fine, it's not like he can hate me more than I already hate myself.

My self-loathing froze as Jungkook abruptly dissolved into a puddle of hysterics. He laughed like glass shattering; sharp, sudden, crashing into a halt. It was the kind of laugh that surprises you at first, but you soon find the sound mellifluous and beautiful, and before I knew it I was relaxed, laughing along with him, our harmonized spluttering sounds of joy filling the dark room.

I decided then and there that his laugh was my favorite sound in the world.

"You're so weird," he choked out, his voice still throaty after our fit of cackling.

"I know," I responded still hiccuping on my own laughter.

I sighed contently, momentarily forgetting the dire situation at hand. He seemed to remember simultaneously, his relaxed form standing to begin pacing circles around my form that was still resting on the floor.

"Do you have your phone on you?" I asked, hoping that he did, even though he probably would have called someone by now if he had.

"No, I don't, I never reply to any texts anyway, so I thought there was no point. Do you?" He responded, his pacing was making me antsy.

"It's out of charge." I stared at the black screen of our only connection to the outside world. It takes 3 hours to charge just a bit, even at that it barely stays alive for long.

He looked down using the minimal light breaking through the window surrounding the door to make out the small block of metal in my hand and snorted slightly.

"That's your phone? "

"I have a lot of mouths to feed, okay." I pulled my phone into my chest defensively, pouting.

"I'll have to make a request for you to get a company phone, so something like this doesn't happen again," he murmured to himself quietly. I perked up immediately.

"Really! That means I can give the one I have to Jisoo, she's been asking for a phone for so long. Thank you so much!" I exclaimed, practically bouncing from excitement.