Chapter 20

PREGNANT

"Yo, are you guys still alive?"

I heard Jae's soft harrumph through the speaker, conveying his childish petulance.

"No, we all died," he answered dryly and I could literally feel him pouting through the speaker.

"Why are you whining, weirdo?" I asked, breathing in the sharp antiseptic redolence as I paced down the hallway.

Jungkook just had his surgery and was resting in his room right now. Soon, after a few weeks of physical therapy, he'll be able to walk as well as dance again.

And I'd be left to trying to wrangle him back into composure and leisure once more.

I was not very excited if you could imagine.

"You hadn't come to visit us in forever," he whined, drawing out the last word to further his point.

"Aww, my little baby, did you miss me," I mocked in a baby voice, even going as far as to add tiny hand movements.

"Ew, you wish."

"Anyways, I literally saw you last week. Did something happen while I was gone?" I asked, completely ignoring his last statement and adopting a more serious tone.

I heard a slight choking sound from his end and the chill of anxiety spread like the rush of ice cold water inside my stomach.

"Jae, did something happen?" I asked again, my tone growing grimmer with each second that passed. My bones stiffened with the brittle silence.

He still didn't answer.

"Boy, don't scare me. W-was it eomma?" My palms were starting to grow sweaty. If she touched even a single hair on any of their heads, we will move out faster than she could take a breath. Although we didn't have enough money to live in the family-friendly comfortable side of town, I had earned enough to move into another, bigger apartment.

"What? No, we hadn't seen her in weeks, she only comes to sleep and take the money you drop off from time to time."

I gave a sigh of relief, before the words he said processed.

"Wait, she steals from you guys!" I exclaimed, my eyes widening with anger.

"Don't worry, old lady! Did you forget how smart I am, you see I saved most of it and left a few bucks behind for her to take. She's usually too drunk to notice, so it works. Aren't I so smart!?" He gave an arrogant laugh, which led to a coughing fit from him choking on it.

"It was Jisoo's idea wasn't it," I drawled with an eye roll.

"...Shut up."

I gave a chuckle, my worries loosened but remaining nonetheless.

"But are you guys actually alright?"

He gave a sigh before speaking, "It's appa, he's, um, he's been calling."

My body chilled, the warmth from the conversation diminishing in a wink.

"Ignore him," I snapped, my voice growing glacial as frost coated each sound thoroughly, so cold it was as if my words could physically snap.

"Noona-"

"No, listen to me, he does not deserve our attention, alright. He's lost that right."

"Maybe if we told him what was going on, what kind of person eomma is..." His voice drew to a stop, let me fill in the blanks to the rest of his sentence.