Hereditary

"Heh, he's right this way."

Nerris chuckled to herself. It was pretty funny seeing Harrison in a situation where they had to get his parents to help. She walked through the narrow hallways into the main room, she led him into the backyard, and right next to the white birdcage was Preston, laughing uncontrollably. Harrison went a shade of red as he saw his father walk out the door with his now giggling girlfriend.

"Hi... dad."

He got no answer, and even if he did, he wouldn't have been able hear it over Preston's laughter and Nerris' snorting. He felt so much worse now and just wanted to get out of this prison.

His father put a hand on Nerris' shoulder and whispered, "M-maybe you an-nd your fri-end should go back in-inside."

"Yeah, alright. C'mon Preston, lets go back inside... and let the professional deal with the rookie!" She sneered with a large smile still on her face.

Once the other two had walked inside, Harrison's father grabbed two corners of the birdcage's roof and tore it off with ease. Harrison was frozen with shock. His father was tall and thin, he had no muscles, so how the hell was he able to tear a sheet of steel of so easily?

"Wha-what the hell? How d-"

"Look... son." His father put out his hand to get his son out of the cage, "It's about ti-ime that I told you..."

Still in shock, Harrison let his father help him. Suddenly, his father brushed the sleeve of his wool jumper and after flicking his hand, Blanka, Harrison's dove, appeared. Harrison's eyes widened, his father had magic too? But that didn't make sense, his mother was a purist... she still gives both him and Nerris a new Bible each year... they never touched it, but accepted the gift to be polite. His mother was always against Harrison's magic because of this, but she became extremely serious with her religion after he made his brother disappear.

"Here's your bi-bird."

Still in a state of shock, Harrison hesitated before taking Blanka. He heartlessly shoved her up his sleeve and immediately asked questions, "You have magic? But- Why were you trying to hide it from Mother?"

"No, Harrison." He sighed, "Your mother knows I have m-magic. It was after... a while... she became what sh-she is now..."

"Well... why didn't you help me when I was learning? I have the most ugly looking burn scars all over me- It doesn't look nice at al-"

"Harrison. That is n-no-not what I am here t-to tell you. Magic i-is h-hereditar-tary."

"What?!"

His father grabbed Harrison's hands and pulled off his gloves to examine them, "Our m-magic Harrison... it's here-hereditary..."

"Wait so... that means... that our kid is gonna have MAGIC?!"

"It-it's a fi-fifty fifty chance..."

Harrison felt a warm feeling in his chest and smiled. He pulled his hands away from his father and started shivering with excitement, "I've gotta tell Nerri! She's gonna be so happy!"

"Yes... happy..." His father frowned.

Throwing the glass door open and running into the house, Harrison pounced onto Nerris, who was sitting with Preston at the kitchen bench, and started shaking her.

"NERRIS, NERRIS! MY MAGIC IS HEREDITARY! THE KID'S GONNA BE MAGIC, HE'S GONNA BE MAGIC!"

After calming down and sitting in between Nerris and Preston, he was interrupted;

"Woah, woah... where's your dad?" Nerris asked, she wanted to hear it from the source.

"About to leave..." Harrison's father said, slowly making his way to the front door.

Harrison hesitated before waving goodbye. He just wanted his father to leave. Harrison knew that he should love his parents and appreciate them, but he just couldn't... especially after how they treated him when he was a kid.

Once his father left, Preston turned to the other two, "Did you guys notice that he didn't smile the entire time?"

Nerris sighed and Harrison nodded, but smiled as he put his arms around his friends, "But what's great is that OUR KID IS GONNA HAVE MAGIC!"

"HA, Nerris is gonna be the only one without magic!" Preston pointed at her, she made a face of pure disapproval in reply.

"Wait so... all magicians have kids who are magicians?" Nerris asked in confusion, "Or is it just because yours is actual magic..."

Harrison smiled even wider, "Nope, it's just my magic! You know how powerful my magic isss!"

"Heh, of course she does... in more ways then one" Preston sneered.

The two magic 'kids' sighed at Preston's stupidity. But he was right, Nerris felt left out. She was gonna be the only one that didn't have magic, and she was the biggest fan of it. She kind of felt betrayed, it hurt... a lot.

"Ooh, I forgot to tell yous- Max, Nikki and Neil are coming over tomorrow!"

"W-what... why?" Harrison asked. He didn't really want to see Max right now, he was way too negative, and last time he saw them, Nerris and Max had an argument that almost got physical.

Preston laughed, "I told Max that I was back in town, and the three of them wanted to come see me!"

Nerris smiled, "Ooh! It's gonna be good to see them again... it's been three months... nice."

"Nghh, I guess." Harrison submitted to agreeing with them. He really didn't want to see those three, they were definitely gonna say or even do something to trigger either himself, Nerris or Preston... and with this situation its probably going to be Nerris again.

In the end, the three decided to find something to eat, but being the lazy bastards they were, they ate dessert for dinner. Nerris decided to challenge the guys to a match of Mario Kart that she would surely win, of course. Preston took the challenge immediately, Harrison didn't really want to cause World War Three... but after Nerris calling him a chicken, he threatened to smash her.

"Pfffttt" Preston sneered, "You've smashed her maaannnnyyy times before Harri... in various ways."

Nerris rolled her eyes as Harrison groaned at yet another terrible sex joke from Preston. They've heard it many times before, it's been drilled into their heads, "Very funny Preston," they said in unison.

After that conversation, they got to their game of Mario Kart on Harrison's old Wii... Nerris' one had 'disappeared'... in other words, Harrison accidently destroyed it while experimenting with his magic. In the end, Nerris won the overall three grand prix-es, with Preston coming second and Harrison being beaten by 3 computers... on easy. He didn't hear the end of it that night. In fact, he fell asleep in bed to Nerris laughing at him losing to three computers on easy.