MariChat

>>>Adrien's POV<<< (At night)

"Ohana..." I said to myself as fixated my gaze down at my paper I was given to study. "Means family...." 

My father recently had me start studying Hawaiian. I don't know why exactly, but he did anyway. To me, Hawaiian was a simple language with simple words. Small syllables and easy to memorize. Or so I thought.

"Makuahine..."

"Means Mother," I muttered silently to myself as I read the long list of vocabulary words, my nose scrunching up in confusion as I tried to pronounce the word correctly without sounding like a buffoon.

"Makuahine..." I repeated flawlessly, this time, under my breath while tapping my #2 pencil on my desk irritably.

No matter how long I tried to stay focused, and no matter how hard I tried, I simply could get myself together mentally.

Surprisingly enough, I've had a short attention span lately. I've been tired, and mentally drained for no reason. But want to know what's funny?

I don't know why.

I don't know why I feel a heavy weight in my heart and the stomach, weighing me down emotionally. I don't know why I wake up each morning and feel...

guilty.

I feel like I messed up. But for what reason?

"O-ohana..." I said in almost a whisper this time, reading the list from the top again, but not bothering to finish the rest of it. 

That's it.

I decided to get up from my seat that I feel as though I've been glued to, and walked over to my door with a huff. 

I need to think.

"Hey kid, you okay?" I heard Plagg's raspy voice from behind me, concern lacing his tone.

"Y-yeah... Just going to get a drink of water is all. " I ran a hand through my blonde locks. 

After some moments, I look over to my side to see the cat-like kwami give an unamused eye-roll. "Yeah, and I'm supposed to believe that? Look, I know you've been acting strange all week, Adrien." He finished with a sigh. 

"Plagg, please, I'm fine." I attempted to reassure him. "I just need some fresh air..."

I don't even know why I'm feeling like this in the first place. How can I talk to him if I don't even know what's wrong with myself?

"Adrien..." He sighed, looking up at me through his green cat-like eyes. The look that on any other occasion, I would have found adorable. But this was a situation I could not fathom. 

"I care about you- as more than just your kwami to help you transform," I noted the way he looked out the window for a few moments- the longing look in his emerald gaze. It was as if he was searching for something, but his gaze flickered back towards me before he continued. 

"You've become my family, Adrien. To be honest, I've never been this close to a holder like this in a couple hundred years. The last time was..." Then he stopped, choking on his words, unable to finish. 

"A-anyways... Adrien, I've known you long enough to know when you're not yourself. But even if it seems like you have no one to talk to, I'm always here- willing to listen only if you're willing to talk." He finished, looking down. 

Wow, that like the nicest thing he's said to me in a while... I guess I do consider him family in some ways.

I stood there for a few seconds with my mouth slightly agape, but those long seconds felt like hours.