Chapter 1: Friendship

“Waa~ I’m so jealous of you.” That’s what I hear them say to me. People say I’m perfect. I have amazing parents; I’m popular in school — being the school president and volleyball captain; they say everyone wants to be friends with me; and I got an awesome best friend who is surprisingly not my boyfriend. I don’t mind because they are right, except for that little glitch on the last statement.

Kim Jonghyun and I have been best friends since middle school. From then on, we shared everything. We know each other’s deepest secrets. We do almost everything together. He comes to ALL of my volleyball games and I’m always present in his band’s practices and performances.

Yeah, I know we have the perfect friendship. I get that a lot. But the thing is, I like him, and he doesn’t like me back.

How should I know? He has Kim Taeyeon — my volleyball teammate, his dream girl and girlfriend. What’s stupid of me is that I’m the one who got them together. But that was before I realized I like him. That’s why I’ll never consider confessing to him. Not now, not ever.

What’s even the point of doing it? A lot of things will change. Jonghyun will feel awkward towards me, and I will, too. Our friendship won’t be the same again if that happens.

“Aish! This is so frustrating!”

“What is?” Jonghyun asked, appearing behind me with some snacks he probably got from the vending machine. Typical Jjong, always hungry.

We’re in our classroom right now. There’s still fifteen minutes left before classes start. I was advanced reading today’s topic before my mind decided to daydream.

It became a routine for the two of us to come to school early and eat breakfast here. Jjong would take a nap afterwards while I prepare for the day’s lessons then I’ll wake him up five minutes before the first period bell rings. It’s quite a surprise he’s still awake this morning.

“Ah… it’s nothing. Where have you been?” I asked, he handed me a snack.

“Here. I went to check Taeyeon’s homeroom. She promised me she’d come early today. I guess she overslept again.” He pouted.

“Guess she did. Why didn’t you go with her? You know I’m more than fine going alone.”

“I can but I don’t want to. We both know I love her but I don’t want my relationship with her change the things I do before we started dating. Besides, you might get hit by a bus on your way here. I don’t want a dead best friend, you know.” He joked.

“YAH! I’m not a little girl, you dino.” I exclaimed while flicking his forehead.

“YAH! You’re so violent. I was joking.” He said while rubbing his forehead.

“Whatever Jjong, now go away, I’m studying.” I can’t help but secretly smile at the thought that he values our friendship more than their relationship. Sigh. That’s right YooHee, friendship is the only thing you have so can be with him.

“Psh. You’re always studying. You’re the smartest student of our batch. Sometimes I wonder why you need to study.” Before I could retort, the bell rang.

JONGHYUN’s POV

Miss Yuna is almost done discussing something about cones when the bell rang, indication that it’s time for lunch. “I hope you understand today’s lesson. I’ll be focusing on this topic for your midterms. If you don’t have any concerns, you may go.”

“Nae, sonsaengnim.” We all replied.

YooHee and I hurriedly made our way to the cafeteria. We saw my band mates – Onew, Key, Minho and Taemin – as soon as we entered.

“Hey guys.” We both greeted them. I fist bumped with them before sitting beside YooHee.

When she was about to stand to buy lunch, Key spoke up, “YooHee, I already bought you lunch.” pushing the food slightly towards her.

“Oh. Gomawo Kibummie~” she thanked him while pinching his cheeks. I saw Key slightly blush at her action but YooHee did not seem to have noticed it. That sly fox. I knew he has a crush on my best friend. I interrupted the lovey dovey scene.

“Yah, yah! Don’t eat this.” pointing to the food. “I’ll go buy you lunch. Key-goon may have put something in this. You might die or something.”

I saw Key pout. I internally laughed at the sight. To be honest, I’m okay with any of them liking YooHee. I just like to tease them.

I guess you’re wondering why she’s hanging out with us and not with her other friends. She isn’t the type to get comfortable with people easily. Sure, she talks with almost all of the people at school but I have never seen her hang out with anyone besides me. She got close with my band mates because I always invite her to our practices and performances. As time passed, she slowly warmed up to them.

Ah, right. Let me introduce you to the band. There’s Taemin, the adorable keyboardist and the maknae; Minho, our guitarist. He doesn’t talk much. I can’t even remember the last time we heard his voice; Jinki hyung or Onew as our fans like to call him, is our vocalist. He’s also the leader and the oldest among us; and that sly fox that has a crush on my best friend is Kibum. He likes to be called Key for a reason we don’t know. He’s our drummer.

And me, Jonghyun, the bassist and visual of the band (kekeke :D), also composes our songs. We’re the only band here in school so we’re quite popular. Also, because of my SHINing appearance, our band earned a lot of fans who are mostly girls.

On my way back to the table, I heard a little too familiar voice calling my name.

“Jonghyunnie~” Taeyeon hugged me. She’s cute, isn’t she?

“Had lunch already?” She shook her head. I was going to buy her food when she added, “But I brought lunch with me so I don’t have to buy anymore.”

We went to the table and saw them laughing. I wonder what they’re talking about. They’re not making fun of me, right?

“Hello, you guys.” Taeyeon greeted them as she sat down next to YooHee while I sat beside her.

So our arrangement looks like this: YOOHEE – KEY – TAEMIN – ONEW – MINHO – ME – TAEYEON.

“Hey. How’s English class, Taeyeon? Did Sir Ravi bore the class again?” The two girls laughed.

“Yeah, I almost fell asleep while he’s discussing.” The girls continued talking to each other.

“Hey Jonghyun, is the new song done? The music bar owner wants to know when we’ll be able to play it. They want something new within this month.” Onew informed me.

“You’re writing a new song Hyunnie?” Taeyeon asked, interested. YooHee and I nodded.

“We watched this movie last weekend and he just started to write after we finished watching it.” YooHee explained.

“Yup. Hyung, let’s practice next weekend. I think I’ll be able to finish it by then.” He mumbled something I can’t figure out. It’s probably just his sangtae so I just brushed it off.

As we were all about to go to our next class, Onew spoke up.

“YooHee-ya, I want to talk to you about something. Do you mind if we walk together?” he said while flashing his signature eye smile.

Before I could tell them I’ll see them later, they already walked away from us.

-

First fanfic. YAY! I decided to finally write a fanfiction and since I love SHINee I wrote one about them. Jonghyun's not my UB though. I picked him because I think he fits the male lead's personality.

the main characters are introduced! key has a crush on yoohee <3 i wonder what onew wants to talk to yoohee about.

this one is edited. i just realized that the main character was named charm (my girl lead default name) instead of yoohee so i changed all charm to yoohee. if ever i missed out one, please do tell me. i hope you like this :D