Chapter Nine

"I wish all my weaknesses
could be hidden."

---

I usually liked weekends. As much as I enjoyed working on my designs and the hush hush of my everyday life, I loved those two days I could just lay back and relax, spending time with my brother or simply doing nothing.

It helped me keep the focus.

This weekend was so far from that.

I woke up on Sunday feeling more tired than if I hadn't slept at all, eyes all puffy and red and a cranky attitude. I thought about not leaving the room at all, avoiding Jungkook at all costs. Maybe then, I could just pretend last night hadn't happened and that I didn't know what I knew now.

It was so very tempting.

But then I remembered I had promised to make lunch for my brother, and frankly, I didn't want to cancel on him. Discovering Jimin had been right all along only made me want to cling more to him and leave my husband talking to himself.

Thinking solely on my brother, I got up from bed and changed into a light dress, putting my hair up in a bun and heading for the bathroom. I checked the time on my phone as I stepped out of my refugee, making a beeline towards the kitchen but paying attention to the sounds so I wouldn't run into Jungkook without realizing.

It was pretty early, so I had plenty of time to set everything up. After some consideration as I drank some milk, I decided on a stir fry with a side of rice. Noting I had more than enough time, I also gathered ingredients to bake a cake for dessert.

I prepared the beef and set it aside to marinate as I prepared the cake. Being as spoiled as we had been, me and my brother loved sweet goods. One of our favorites when we were children was a lemon cake Mrs. Jung used to make, we literally licked our fingers when we finished it.

I knew I wouldn't be able to make one like hers, but I would try very hard to.

Picking my brand new mixer from the cabinet where I placed it last night, I started mixing the dough, the scent of lemons filling the air as I worked. It didn't seem too difficult, apparently once you knew the basics of cake making it was pretty much the same, and I smiled at how everything was working out.

Putting the dough to bake, I retorted to chopping the vegetables I would use for the stir-fry and started on the rice, which again, was very simple. By the time the rice was done and I had finished with the cake's frosting, tucking it into the fridge, the interphone rang.

Clearing my brother's ascend to the penthouse, I started assembling the stir-fry on the hot pan. I must say, it smelled amazing, all the scents mixing together into a mouth watering fragrance, making me hungrier than I really was. As I put the beef back in the pan along with the vegetables, the doors of the lift opened, giving way to my brother.

- Hmm, I don't know what it is, but it smells amazing. - he declared, coming towards me.

- It's stir fry. - I announced, mixing the contents of my pan. - And you're being kind.

- No, I'm not. I'm being truthful, specially because I'm starving.

We both laughed as I turned off the stove and set the food on a serving dish. I also checked on the cake, which was perfectly baked, and set it on the counter to cool as we ate.

Jimin carried the food to the table as I set the plates and silverware in place, making our usual small talk. It was a simple moment, nothing truly special about it, but after last night's realization, it just felt like my safe place.