Chapter Fifteen

"The route I took
I forgot"

---

Blinking slowly, I forced my eyes to open. I stared at the ceiling and realized this was not my bedroom. Everything seemed much bluer and darker than what I was used to.

Oh. Jungkook's bedroom.

Yawning, I turned on my side to check on him. And caught him staring at me.

His brown eyes weren't mad anymore, looking almost lovingly at me for a moment. I returned the stare, too caught up in it to do anything else. His eyes always had that effect on me, mining my resistance and making me melt if I stared into them for too long.

I knew I should keep my distance from him. I knew exactly who Jeon Jungkook was and what he did. I also knew he wasn't going to change, so it would be foolish to let myself fall for him all over again and hope for something that wouldn't happen.

Something impossible.

Snapping out of his spell, I raised a hand and touched it to his forehead, checking his temperature. He seemed back to normal, his skin not burning under my fingers. He didn't move as I touched him, but close his eyes for a moment, as if enjoying the touch.

For my part, I didn't move my hand away for a second, keeping the contact between us. Again, this seemed like something a real wife should be doing, not me. A real wife would kiss the tip of his nose lovingly and smile at him, right before he cupped her face and actually kissed her.

Removing my hand from him and shooing the thoughts away, I watched as he opened his eyes.

- How do you feel? – I asked.

- Much better.

- Your fever is gone, so you should be okay.

- Thank you. – he said, looking into my eyes. – For staying and taking care of me.

- Don't worry, it's what a wife would do. – I explained, smiling at him. – Besides, if you had died, everyone would have blamed me.

- I wouldn't die from a fever. – he said, rolling his eyes.

- You never know.

- Why, then. Thank you for saving my life, Hyejin. – he said, chuckling.

- No problem.

We laughed together, as if this was truly something normal for us.

- But really, thank you.

- It's okay, Jungkook. It's good practice for when I marry someone I actually love. – I answered, jokingly.

- You want a family. – it wasn't a question.

- Does that surprise you?

- Not really. I can totally picture you married to a nice guy and happy with him. – he stated, smiling sadly. – Do you want children?

- A couple, maybe. I do want a family of my own. Maybe a dog too. – a picture formed in my head, of me feeding a toddler in the kitchen as my said husband drank some coffee and smiled at us. – What about you? What will you do when our marriage is over?

- I don't know. I never really gave much thought to forming a family. – he answered, thoughtful. – Maybe I'll change my mind until then. You do make it sound appealing.

- Of course it's appealing. Imagine waking up to someone who actually cares for you. To know that no matter what, that person will be beside you. A lot of people will stand by you if you can offer them something, but don't assume they'll do the same when you truly need them.