Chapter Twenty-Six

"I wish love was perfect
as love itself"

---

Running my fingers on the carved letters in the pendant, I felt the first tear break through the barrier of my eyes and slid down, wetting my cheek and bringing the others with it.

I tried holding them in, but it was useless. It was almost as if they had a mind of their own, defying my direct orders and doing whatever it pleased them. They wanted to be free, to show the world they existed.

To remind me of what I seemed to have lost for good now.

I cried silently, clutching the brown envelope between my arms as I stared blindly to the gift inside the box. I loved it. Not because it was made of gold, or even because it was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen.

I loved the gesture, the thought he put into it. It wasn't a simple token he happened to stop by some store and buy. It was custom made, exclusive.

From him to me.

I had done the right thing, taken the right decision. He had lied to me, coming up with a generic excuse and thinking it would fool me. The only other option was to act as if that was okay, and that it didn't bother me.

But it did, and I couldn't pretend otherwise. No matter how much I loved him. How much I still did.

Blinking through my tears, I felt a hand on my shoulder, a soothing touch offering comfort. Looking up, I saw a tear-distorted version of my brother.

- Hey, why are you crying, sweetie?

- I ... I just ... He's ... He's gone.

I wasn't making any sense whatsoever, not even to my own ears.

- He s-signed it. - I babbled between my tears, extending the brown envelope to my brother.

- I thought it was what you wanted. - he said calmly, taking the document from my hands.

- I ... I don't know anymore.

I looked at the box in my hands again, a new wave of tears ready to fall. This was pathetic. I had told him to leave, and when I finally got him to do it, it just felt like my world was crumbling down.

- It obviously isn't what you have right now. - continued my brother, oblivious to my internal dilemma.

Extending his hand, he offered me a handkerchief. Accepting it, I started to dry my tears, breathing deeply to try and calm down. What was done was done. There was no coming back now.

- Sweetie, be honest with me, okay? - started Jimin, brushing a strand of hair away from my face and looking intently at me. - Deep down, what do you want?

- It doesn't matter anymore. - I said, sniffling. - It's too late.

- If you truly believed that, you wouldn't be crying as if your world had ended. You would've just accepted it and moved on. - he announced, pulling a chair closer and making me sit down. - You love him. Why are you fighting against it?

- He lied to me, Jimin.

- I know, I'm not saying he didn't. - he continued, pulling another chair for himself. - And I'm not saying you should have ignored it. But maybe you should hear him out. Let him explain.

I looked up into my brother's eyes, my own gaze confused. Since when did Jimin start to defend Jungkook? Since when did they become friends again? Since when did my world tilt and started to make absolutely no sense?