20

"God! Why did I do this? I knew I shouldn't have!" A 15-year old Rebecca screams at herself in the mirror.

"Becky, why the hell are you screaming?" Her mother, Mary walks into their bathroom.

She sees her daughter crying, leaning her head on the sink. She looks scared and as if she was hiding something from her.

"Becky, why are you crying?" Mary asks again.

Rebecca shakes her head and gets up slowly. She walks back slowly away from her mother, trying to hide the pregnancy test. Her mother was a very strong-willed woman, she didn't take shit and she sure as hell had values for her daughter.

"Rebecca Faye Smith, use your words" She says calmly.

"Ma, I messed up big time. I didn't mean for any of it to happen but I was just caught up in the moment and it just happened. I can't believe it, I didn't know what I was doing. I'm stupid for it, I know and I know you're going to be mad but please don't take it out on James, it's my fault. I let it happen. Mom, please say something, I can't deal if you're not going to say something. Punish me, ground me for life, I don't care but please don't be mad at James" Rebecca blabbers as tears stream down her cheeks.

"Becky..." Mary sighs as she comes to terms with what has happened.

"I know, I messed up mom!" She yells and drops to the floor.

The pregnancy test slides over to Mary's feet, she picks it up and looks at it, it's positive. It clearly shows that it's positive. Mary walks over to Rebecca and pulls her up.

At first, she is confused as to why her mother wasn't saying anything. She pulls her in and hugs her tightly. Rebecca is speechless. This was not her type of sympathy that she gives. It was always a few kind words, but a hug was something else.

Just that hug, on it's own had a lot of meaning to it. Mary walks over out to the patio, she sits in a chair, looking out at the morning sun.

"Mom..." Rebecca whispers as she sits in the chair across from her.

"Becky, I couldn't be happier. You're my baby, and now you are going to have your very own baby. But that James, sure as hell better be helping out, cause I'm ready to beat the living shit outta him if he isn't" She smiles slightly.

"Mom, he doesn't know yet... I'll tell him now" Becky walks back inside and takes the telephone.

It rings after she dials the number. It rings. And rings. And rings.

"Mitchell Residence, William speaking" His Irish accent fills her ears.

"James, it's me" Rebecca sighs quietly.

"Babe? Hey, what's up?" He asks.

"I need to talk to you, but you have to come here, to my place" She says quickly.

"Why? What's wrong?" He sounds worried.

"Please, just come over now? It has to be said in person" Rebecca nervously says into the phone.

"Okay, I'll be right over" He hangs up the phone and Rebecca walks out to the patio.

Her mother looks at her and smiles. They sit and look out at the fields.

"Becky, you know I love you right?" Mary says, hesitating at first.

"Momma, I love you too" Rebecca smiles, blushing a little.

James' car pulls up, he parks and jumps out. His sister gets out as well, she smiles widely and runs over to Rebecca, hugging her tightly.

"Hey Kate" She smiles as she hugs her best friend.

"I'm sorry, but she begged to come" James says as he walks up the stairs.

"Well, I had nothing else to do" She scowls her brother.

"Mornin' William or James... whatever your real name is" Mary smiles.

"Good morning to you, Ms Mary" He smiles politely.

"James, come to my room" Rebecca says as she walks inside.

"Kate, why don't you and I go in the kitchen and make some cookies?" Mary says getting up and hooking her arm into Kate's.

"Oh sure, I would love that" She beams.

James follows Rebecca to her room, he knows something is wrong. He sits in the chair nervously, thinking about what is going to happen.

"James, I'm pregnant. And I just need to know if you're in with me on this, and if you're not that's fine too, I can do this all on my own, I don't need to have a man by my side during this. I've got my mother. I just need to kno-" Rebecca rants and is stopped as James pulls her in.

"Hey, hey hey" He says stroking her face.

She looks at him and then looks down.

"I'm all in. I'm here for you, I want to be here through it all" He smiles and tilts her head so she's looking at him.

"Thank you, I love you" She smiles and gives him a peck.

"I love you too" He says.

They sit in the room talking over things, how it was going to go. James decided her was going to go over every single day to check up on her. He'll stay with her while Mary went to work at their family bakehouse.

"Cookies are ready!" Kate calls out.

"Come on then, let's go" James smiles and holds Rebecca's hand as they walk out to the kitchen.

"So, what's the big news?" Kate asks.

"I'm pregnant" Rebecca says and Kate rushes towards her, hugging her tightly.

"I'm so happy for you" She squeals.

"You better step up" She says hugging her brother.

"Don't worry I will" He smiles.

"Come on you three, sit down and have some cookies with milk" Mary directs them towards the table.

They all sit down and talk, while eating and drinking their milk. This was the new beginning for James and Rebecca. They were about to have their first child, and she never even thought it'll happen at this age.

She was happy. Everyone was happy.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoy this! 😊