"please don't forget me"

Nari didn't realise how long it took to get outside until this moment. It seemed like the higher powers had added extra hallways to the Hwarang House that particular night, just to make it harder for her to break free. She managed to push through what felt like a thousand doors before she reached the one that flooded the glistening moonlight into her earnest eyes. If it were a normal night, she would've stopped and stared at the glorious globe in the sky. However, in that moment, Nari's mind was filled with nothing but Poong-yeon.

As she stumbled out into the courtyard, she looked upon the unwinding scene. Three men, two which were palace guards, were hustled in the middle of the grounds. One guard was on each side of the man in the middle, who was struggling to hold a small figure, holding a knife to the youngling's throat. Nari's heart stopped as she focused on the blade pressed harshly against Poong-yeon's delicate neck. Without giving a second thought, she bolted desperately towards the small crowd in a panicked frenzy.

"Wait!" Nari screamed, holding her hand out in a plea to make them stop. The surprised men turned their heads towards her, slightly annoyed at the interruption. However, Nari didn't spare them a second glance. Her eyes were locked on Poong-yeon. His tiny frame was shaking uncontrollably, and his cheeks were soaking with tears. Poong-yeon looked back at his sister with wide frightened eyes, internally wishing he was in her arms.

"Nari...," he choked out quietly, terrified by the situation.

"Silence!" yelled the palace guard to the left, causing Nari to look at the man with disgust. "We caught him stealing herbs so why should we spare him? What business do you have with this peasant boy?"

"Stealing...?"Nari murmured with confusion. She eyed the two guards, and then let her gaze fall to the ground before them. Scattered across the dirt was the bag of mixed herbs she'd given her brother earlier that evening. Her heart sank as she realised the mistake she'd made. Turning back to Poong-yeon's petrified face; her eyes followed the daunting knife to the hand holding it, travelling up the arm until she met the face. Nari nearly collapsed at the sight of it, her breath lost in a silent gasp. She stumbled a tiny bit backwards as she realised who had her younger brother in his clutches; it was the Command. Images of that very same man on the night of her Mother's death whisked through Nari's mind as she remembered how he had carried out the King's order to murder her loved one without even a hint of remorse.

Nari couldn't decide if she wanted beg or fight. She noticed the presence of her knife in the upper pocket of her robe, and at the moment, she had never been more tempted to kill the man in front of her. He had mercilessly slaughtered her mother, and was about to do the same to the only person she had left. However, as much as Nari wanted to express her hatred of the man, she realised that that would only result in someone's death; and it wouldn't be his. Wide-eyed and feeling helpless, all she could do was stare.

Realising they weren't going to get an answer, the guards turned their attention back to Poong-yeon.

"Go ahead with it," the right one ordered, and the Command tightened his grip around the boy.

It was as if Nari had no control over her body. Her vision was just a confusing blur. Her ears picked up on Poong-yeon's perplexed screams as she struggled to focus on the scuffle ahead.

"No! wait!"

Nari raced towards her brother in horror, her vision retuning to its clear state. The Command halted again as the guards grabbed a hold of her, pushing her backwards. Nari began to break down as she struggled to think of what else to do to save little Poong-yeon. She couldn't contain the sobs in her speech as her eyes began to wildly run over with tears.

"Please!" she begged with distraught, staring helplessly at the soldiers. "It's all my fault! He's my younger brother and I hid him in the physician's room because he had nowhere else to stay! Please don't do this!"