"she's gone!"

A/N

So, I actually wrote this chapter listening to 'Singapore' from the Pirates of The Caribbean soundtrack. So if you want, you can listen to it while you're reading. Start the music at the beginning of the 5th paragraph to make it 'some-what' match  ahaha.  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Two or so hours had passed. The jail was growing dimmer as the torches were beginning to fade. Perhaps it was even early morning. Nari knew this was now the best time to undertake her plan. The guard beside her cell was nearing the end of his shift. He was sure to be tired.

Nari began to quietly sneak towards the jail door, peering up at her sentry. Sure enough, he was leaning against his post, softly snoring. Satisfied with his state of slumber, Nari slowly lifted her hand towards his waist, heart racing. She carefully felt around his belt for the keys she'd seen him use, eventually feeling the coolness of metal under her fingers. Gently gripping her hand around them, she pulled them ever so meticulously from his side, desperate not to wake him.

But as she was doing so, the guard shifted in position, letting out a large yawn. Nari froze with fright, not even daring to breathe. She thought that she was done for. However, the man eventually settled back down, letting himself drift to sleep once again.

Letting out a sigh of relief, Nari quickly got to her feet, heading straight for the lock. She slid the first key in, attempting to turn it. It didn't work. She huffed with frustration, trying the second one. It too wouldn't turn. Nari's heart was beating out of her chest. She looked back at the guard nervously, before sticking the third key into the lock. A tiny click sounded, and the door swung open.

Nari winced as its metal hinges creaked, squeezing her eyes shut. She stood frozen again, waiting to be interrogated. But the night remained silent. She glanced one last time at the guard. He was still sound asleep.

Stepping outside her cell, Nari began to sneak down the corridor. She couldn't help but smile, seeing as things were going exactly according to her plan. But that thought soon vanished.

"Hey," a husky voice whispered. Nari turned her eyes down to where it had come from. It was the new prisoner in the cell next to her. "Hey!" he repeated. "Let me out too!" Nari's stomach turned. He looked so desperate, but she wasn't going to just release a criminal. Who knew what he'd done?

She tried to ignore him, continuing to walk. But he called after her again, a little louder this time. "Don't leave me here! Take me with you!" His quiet shout had aroused several other prisoners, who were quick to observe what was going on. "Take me too," one pleaded. "Let me free!" another cried. In an instant, the prison had turned into a chaotic mess, inmates clinging to the bars of the cells begging for her help. They started shouting and yelling, reaching out their arms towards the girl.

Immediately, the guard awoke, turning his attention straight to Nari. "Hey, you!" he bellowed, unsheathing his sword. Nari took a few steps backwards in shock, before turning around and running full pelt for the exit. The guard followed in hot pursuit. "Come back!" he demanded angrily, red-faced and furious.

Nari was running at full speed but she could tell he was catching up. Her eyes darted around as she sprinted, looking for some sort of diversion. That's when she spotted a pile of wooden barrels up ahead, filled with water for the prisoners. She quickly lurched towards them, pushing them down behind her. The large objects rolled straight into her pursuer, knocking him right off his feet.

Having eliminated one threat, she turned her eyes forwards again, preparing to face more danger. Sure enough, when she reached the exit, two heavily armed guards were standing in her way. Embracing the element of surprise, Nari drove her foot into one of them, sending him to the ground in pain. The other swung a sword at her violently, and she narrowly dodged it, beginning to panic. She was unarmed and helpless. How was she going to get past? The guard swung at her again, and she ducked, suddenly coming up with an idea. In too much of a hurry to give it any second thought, she utilised her small size, diving through the guard's legs and barging through the exit. She slammed the door shut behind her, driving a plank of wood into the lock to keep it shut.

Nari took in her surroundings, her heart suddenly dropping. "I think I took the wrong exit..." she breathed, noticing the hordes of delicately woven silk fabrics and finely carved golden ornaments visible before her. She'd run straight into the palace.

"Hey!" a grumpy voiced growled. Nari looked behind her, where a guard stood watching her. His sword was in his hand, preparing to be lurched forward. Nari gulped, stepping backwards. "Alright, let's be civil about this-" she began, but the man came bounding for her, swinging his blade viciously.

Nari reached for the first thing she could find. A golden bowl was what she got. "Oh great," she exclaimed, rolling her eyes. But quickly, she held it above her head, flinching as the sword clashed with it. The bowl shattered, its fractured pieces scattering across the floor. "Wow, that was close," Nari blurted, surprised at its effectiveness. But her astonishment was soon interrupted by the guard attacking again.

Without anything to defend herself with, Nari dropped to the ground, rolling underneath a wooden table. Her enemy hacked at it savagely, trying to draw her out. The object soon collapsed into a messy pile on top of Nari. She grimaced, her shield having fallen. She began pushing the mess off of herself, noticing the full leg of the table was still in tack.

"This'll work," she said, picking it up. The guard swung at her again. She rolled across the ground, dodging his attack, before jumping to her feet and smacking him across the head with her plank of wood. He stood still for a few moments, before collapsing to the ground. Nari sighed with relief, dropping the table leg.

Suddenly, she heard the echo of more guards approaching in the distance. She had to hide. Speedily, she hid the remains of the broken table, before dragging the guard's unconscious body into a shadowy corner. Nari then slinked away behind a curtain, out of sight.

From the jail, a set of five guards appeared, marching quickly. They were met with the Command, who had emerged upon hearing what had happened. "Where is she?!" he snarled, grabbing the collar of one of the men. "We're not sure!" the guard replied shakily, struggling to breathe. "She came through this exit so she must be in the palace somewhere!"

The Command pushed away his victim, teeth still bared. "Find her!" he demanded, before coming to a sudden stop. In the corner of his eye, he'd spotted the slightest movement. He turned, facing the curtains.

"What is it, Sir?" another guard asked, but the Command shushed him. Slowly, he approached the curtains, hand on sword. In an instant, he ripped them open, revealing an open window. His face turned bright red as he processed what he was seeing. "She's gone!" he growled, slamming his fist down on the sill. "I want as many guards as possible out there and searching!" he shouted. "I'm off to report your incompetence to the Queen!"