"what law?"

"Ji-Dwi?!" Nari pleaded, her voice getting louder. She had expected him to hold her, to tell her everything would be alright. She'd at least thought he'd stand up for her. But all he did was stare at the ground, his eyebrows crossed, and his fists clenched tight: silent and motionless.

Nari shook his arm desperately, but he still wouldn't budge. Finally giving up on trying to get his attention, she turned her head back to the front of the assembly, where the Queen's eyes continued to stare deeply into her soul. Nari gulped as she realised there was nothing else left that she could do. She shakily took a step backwards, assessing all possible escape routes.

"Move aside," the Queen suddenly commanded, and the assembly split in two as she walked forward. Nari soon found herself face to face with Silla's ruthless ruler – the same one who had banished her Father and almost had her little brother Poong-yeon killed.

The Queen let off a cruel smirk, her face so close to Nari's that the girl could feel her menacing breath hitting her skin. Suddenly, without warning, the Queen forcibly grabbed hold of Nari's chin between her long witchy fingers, wrenching it upwards to meet her eyes. Nari, now filling with anger, tried to yank her face away, but the woman's grasp was too tight.

"You must be Mouse," the Queen chuckled darkly, looming over her victim. "Or should I say...Nari?"

Hansung and Yeo-Wool gaped in fear at the situation before them. Hansung stepped forward to intervene, but Yeo-Wool held him back. He knew Hansung cared nothing for status...only justice. That's why it was best to keep him close or he might end up in trouble as well.

"Get your hands off of me," Nari growled, still attempting to free herself. The Queen rolled her eyes with a smile, continuing to grasp Nari's face. Purple bruises were already beginning to form.

"Everyone heed what I am about to say," she exclaimed firmly. Of course, there was no need to give the instruction. All the Hwarangs were thoroughly focused on the predicament, widened eyes closely watching the scene unfold. "Some of you may have come across this 'mouse' during your time here in Hwarang. Perhaps you ate together? Talked with each other? Dueled in a training session?"

The Queen paused for a moment, letting the men think on what she'd said. "However," she continued, yanking Nari forward into everyone's vision. "This person is not who you think they are. This person...is a woman."

An uproar rose throughout the Hwarangs as they received the sudden news. Some cried out with surprise, and others shook their heads with disapproval. The only ones who remained quiet with concern were Nari's roommates – those who already knew her secret. Only they were loyal to her now.

"Mouse is no friend," the Queen shouted maliciously. "Mouse is a dirty peasant girl who's brought disgrace to Hwarang. She's tarnished Silla's image with her impure actions and shamed this entire operation. What will your families think of their sons eating, sleeping – even bathing – with an impoverished lower-class orphan girl?! She's brought dishonor to all of your households!"

Silence enveloped the crowd as they came to terms with this sudden discovery. The Queen narrowed her eyes, set on gaining the people's support. "How can you remain speechless when this lowlife has degraded your reputations?! Think of the embarrassment you'll carry with you when the rest of the capital finds out! What should we do with such a scoundrel?"

The Queen's words seemed to now resonate with the remaining men. They seemed convinced they'd all been wronged – that Nari's deception had caused them humiliation.

"Punish her!" one cried out.

"Let's see an end to this ignominy!" another yelled angrily.

Nari's eyes darted around, scoping out her fellow Hwarangs. Only yesterday, they'd talked with her casually and enjoyed her company. Now they stared at her crossly, demanding her punishment. Her gaze fell on Ban-Ryu, Suho and Seonu, the three standing next to each other in line. They were clearly distressed, unsure of how to solve the impending issue. At least they cared. Despite the Queen's hand still harshly clenched around Nari's face, Ji-Dwi remained unfazed.

"Do not worry," the Queen sighed, her voice calming eerily. "You'll get what you want. Nari will receive full punishment for her crimes. Guards!"

A set of armored men approached Nari but were interrupted before they could lay a finger on her. A shout had risen from the crowd, one so desperate that anyone would've stopped to hear its story.

"Wait!"

The words rang loudly from Yeo-Wool's lips. He stepped forward, nervous but determined to save Nari from this tragic turn of events.

"What law?" he powerfully challenged. "What law excludes women from joining Hwarang?!"

The Queen scoffed at Yeo-Wool, promptly letting go of the girl in her grasp. "It saddens me to see an official's son so ill-educated," she replied, turning her attention to him instead. "Is it not common sense to punish a woman for standing in a position only men should be in?"

"Then step down from your position as ruler. It belongs to your son, does it not?"

The Queen was quick to strike Yeo-Wool's face with wrath. It seemed to smack sense back into him, suddenly fearful of what he'd just said. The atmosphere turned silent once more, onlookers shocked by the remark.

"Do not comment on matters you do not know of," the Queen growled, sparing a quick glance at Ji-Dwi. "Otherwise you'll meet the same fate as your friend."

She turned back to Nari, maintaining her composure. "However," she uttered. "If her gender doesn't satisfy you, perhaps her ancestry will." She paused. "Would you like to hear about her Father?"

Nari clenched her teeth, fury rising within her. "What do you know of my Father?!"