"how pitiful"

"That's...that's," Ji-Dwi stuttered, realising what was going on.

"I take it you already know who's dress this is," the Queen sighed, standing up. She took the silky gown from the Command and stroked it softly. "She's certainly got lovely taste in fashion. Pity she wastes such refinement spending her days in a Hwarang uniform."

Slowly, she walked down the steps towards Ji-Dwi, a sly expression on her face. He glared in return, sensing danger in the air.

"What is the meaning of this?!"

His Mother halted her descent, letting out an amused laugh. Just as quickly, her mouth morphed into a serious frown.

"Are you aware of who you've acquainted yourself with, my son? Or has love made you delusional?"

Ji-Dwi narrowed his eyebrows, those questions meaning nothing to him. He instead, sought to conduct his own investigation.

"How do you know of her identity? Why is it of interest to you?"

"Well first of all, let's not forget she is a woman dressing as a man," the queen laughed, thinking her point obvious. "For her to join Hwarang in a case of such deception is severely punishable."

Ji-Dwi clenched his fists tightly, not finding the matter amusing at all. His Mother's laughter angered him.

"You must remember that Hwarang is mine. Rules and regulations are left up to me, therefore, I get to choose who is punished for what offences," he stated firmly, standing his ground. He was prepared to fight for Nari with all his might. "Your involvement in this matter is unnecessary and irrelevant. Stop prying into it from this moment forth."

Certain he had made his point clear, Ji-Dwi turned to walk out.

"I wouldn't run away so quickly," his mother growled. "This matter doesn't just concern Hwarang."

Ji-Dwi turned his head back to face her.

"Then what does it concern?"

The queen switched to smiled; happy she had his listening ear.

"A few months ago, I visited Hwarang. Don't be mistaken. My intentions were perfectly innocent at first. But then...as I entered...I came across quite a peculiar sight. It wasn't a girl dressed as a man, neither was it a child who looked at me with spite. No...I'd come to discover those things later. It was something else that caught my eye."

"And what was that?" Ji-Dwi asked bitterly, curious to know what brought about his mother's evil intent.

"'That' was a head of blonde hair."

Ji-Dwi scoffed, frustrated with the injustice of the statement.

"What significance does that hold? Those from the West come and go from time to time. What about her ethnicity surprises you?"

"Oh, it didn't much surprise me, my son," the queen sighed, gazing pensively into the distance. "But you could say it sparked a moment of déjà vu...a feeling that I was not prepared to leave unattended to."

"You are speaking in riddles," Ji-Dwi declared, growing tired of this game he was caught up in. "If you have something to say, just say it."

"Nari is a spy."

The queen's words rang loud and clear in Ji-Dwi's ears. He clenched his teeth in response, refusing to believe them.

"What evidence do you have to support this claim?"

"Not enough...but soon I will have all I need."

The queen looked at Ji-Dwi, a marvelous scheme piecing together in her mind.