"it's worth a shot"

"It came from somewhere around here," Nari mumbled, as her and Ban-Ryu searched the dimly lit area for the source of the scream.

Although they checked every alleyway and shadowy corner, they just couldn't seem to find anything.

"Where else in this city could it have come from?" Nari continued, stopping to look at Ban-Ryu with wonder.

His attention laid locked on something else, and she followed his gaze to the looming wall before them.

"Perhaps it didn't come from the city at all," Ban-Ryu murmured.

Nari thought for a moment.

"Are you saying it could have come from outside the border?"

Ban-Ryu was silent for a moment, before turning back around to face the way they'd come from.

"Well, if that's the case, let's head back," he suggested, not anticipating seeking out any trouble. "There's no way we can investigate without soldiers notifying Hwarang that we've snuck out. The city gates are guarded day and night."

"They have other concerns to worry about. They won't be interested in us," Nari contended, begging him to help her.

Ban-Ryu shook his head.

"I'm not interested in carrying around Master Wi-Hwa for a day, just because we took on this foolish investigation without his consent," he stated sternly. "Let's go back."

The Hwarang began back towards the streets they'd taken earlier.

"Yah! Wait up!" Nari cried, chasing after Ban-Ryu who was hurriedly walking away.

Grabbing onto his uniform, she pulled him to a stop, causing him to turn to her with a roll of his eyes.

"Why don't we make a break for it and climb the wall?" Nari suggested suddenly, causing her companion's eyes to widen.

"Are you crazy?!" Ban-Ryu hissed. "That's even worse than taking the normal way!"

Nari shrugged.

"It's worth a shot."

Ban-Ryu buried his head into his hands with frustration.

"Let's go back. Now!"

Folding her arms, Nari smirked.

"Go back if you must. I'll handle this myself."

Ban-Ryu turned away hesitantly.

"You're going to go alone?" he asked quietly.

"Yes. I may be small but I'm a fighter. I am a Hwarang after all," Nari replied proudly. "I'll see you in a while then?"

The girl began walking back towards the wall, mapping out the best places to attempt an ascent. Meanwhile, Ban-Ryu was left internally conflicted, not feeling right with himself to just leave her to investigate alone. Mouse had helped him with Soo-yeon and he owed her that much. She'd also protected him against the fiery wrath of Suho and for that he was also thankful. Growling at himself for being too caring for his liking, Ban-Ryu whipped himself around, and started stomping towards Nari.

"Fine! I'll come with you!" he snapped with annoyance, gaining Nari's accomplished smile.

"That's more like it."

- - - - - - - - -

After conquering the towering barrier, the Hwarangs found themselves standing in the dew-seeped grass that grew abundantly before the gloomy much-rumoured-about forest. Nari stared into its shadowy abyss with interest, curious to know if the tales told about it were true. Perhaps those very rumours would explain the scream. With a pounding desire to know more, Nari began walking towards the eerie woodland, Ban-Ryu following close behind. Each step took them closer and closer to the ghostly void, before finally, they reached its edge. Peering into the pitch-black darkness, chills were sent running down the pairs' spines.

"This could definitely be where it came from," Nari whispered, gaining a silent nod from Ban-Ryu. "Let's look around."

Ban-Ryu drifted slightly away from the trees, in order to have a broader searching perspective. Nari however, explored more inwardly, sticking to the very fringe of the forest. She could see absolutely nothing as she peered through the branches, the night engulfing any sign of life. Taking a step closer, her body jumped as a rustle suddenly sounded from a nearby area. Her heart began to pound out of her chest as she was reminded of the ghost stories she'd heard back in town. However, for some reason, she was drawn to find out more, and her stubborn legs began moving towards the sound as if her body was locked in a trance.

"Hello?" she called lightly, hearing moving sounds once again.

"Nari."

The sound of Ban-Ryu's voice behind her brought the girl back to reality, and the rustling disappeared. Hesitantly, she turned to face him, only to see concern driven through his eyes.

"What is it?" she questioned worriedly.

Ban-Ryu exhaled slowly.

"I think I found our source."

- - - - - - - - -

Following Ban-Ryu's lead, Nari found herself standing beside a giant tree, a small white lump situated at the base of its trunk. Nari felt a lump in her throat rise as she realised what the mysterious 'thing' was.

"That's a-that's a child...," she breathed with shock, eyeing the lifeless form on the ground before her.

Ban-Ryu bent down, placing his fingers on the little girl's neck.

"No pulse," he confirmed solemnly, before standing back up.

"What happened here?!" she exclaimed with anguish, kneeling beside the little figure.

She slowly rolled over the girl, checking over her body for any sign of a wound. The only evidence she could find was blood that trickled down from her head, and a few splinters in each of her hands. Sharing this information with Ban-Ryu, the two thought for a moment.

"She must have climbed the tree and fallen," Ban-Ryu concluded, piecing the bloodied head and splinters together.

"You're right," Nari agreed. "Her parents must have let her out to play for a bit. Obviously they weren't supervising her and now..."

Nari held in the utter horror and sadness that was bubbling wildly from within her. With a hardened expression, she picked up the girl and turned to Ban-Ryu.

"We have to report this to someone."

Ban-Ryu nodded with agreement.

"The palace guards at the city gate would be the closest from here," he answered, the ugly thought of carrying Master Wi-Hwa around now erased from his mind. "Let's go."

- - - - - - - -

The palace guards were met with shock as they were confronted with two rebellious Hwarangs carrying a lifeless little girl towards them. Nevertheless, with a few minutes of explaining and a stern warning towards the pair, both Ban-Ryu and Nari were granted free passage back to the Hwarang House in exchange for the investigational lead they had discovered. However, they had been told to keep quiet about the matter, in order to keep the peace among the townspeople. They were assured that the girl's parents would be notified and the death would be carefully scrutinized. So Ban-Ryu and Nari returned to their daily lives, without uttering a single word about the events which happened that night.