Chapter 2: Ryan?

"Moving?" Dallon asked.

"Yeah.." I mumbled through the table.
Why wouldn't she have told me sooner...and why didn't she want to make things work. "I really loved her...I still really love her."

"Yeah, that can't be easy. I'm here for you though."

"Thanks." I breathed out. My brain felt like it was on hangover mood since I sat up to fast. I looked around the cafeteria. "Where's Patrick and Josh?"

"They both are trying to find their experiments as they call them."

"Oh, what about you?"

"Well, I already got someone picked out, though I'm not using the word experiment."

Experiment wouldn't have been my word of choice either. As my eyes glanced around the room again I saw a scrawny boy, taller than me but not by much, floppy brown hair and pale, almost ghostlike complexion wearing a red hoodie and black sweatpants walk in the room with his head down. He was holding his right arm down tightly to his side like it might fall off if he didn't.

"Whos that?"

"Ryan Ross, he was her for freshman year but then was moved into to homeschooling. Apparently, he tried killing himself by jumping off his roof. Said he needed to fly. His mother freaked out and had him sent to a clinic for a year. I guess he's back now."

I looked at him again and he just looked so helpless. My heart sank a little. "Maybe..maybe I could help him."

"Like Patrick's great idea help him, or like be friends with him."

"Maybe both? Is that bad?"

"No, not at all." Dallon almost smiled.

I was about to go over to him when Josh and Patrick sat down.

"There you two are," Dallon said sounding like a mother.

"We found out candidates," Patrick said. "I chose Pete-

"You chose a jock, are you stupid?" I asked.

"Listen he's all kinds of messed up, it'll be perfect."

"Whatever you say, what about you Josh?"

"I chose the new kid, Tyler, what about you two?" Josh asked.

"Well I Chose Ryan Seaman, and Brendon over here chose Ryan Ross," Dallon said taking a sip off of his coke.

The two of them stared at me.

"What's wrong?" I asked them looking confused.

"Uh...nothing, just good luck with that," Patrick said sounding concern.

Well alright then. After that amazing school lunch, I tried to stop thinking about Sarah. I still don't understand how after six months she can just stop talking to me like that.

I had health next period with no one I knew so that only gave me more time to think about her. I slumped my way there until I almost knocked a student off their feet.

"I am really sorry..."

Ryan

Shoot well I scared him. "It's okay it was my fault," I said slightly over a whisper so I wouldn't startle him. "What class do you have next?"

He didn't answer me at first. I actually didn't think he was going to answer me at all. "Health."

"Me too, come on will you walk with me?"

He nodded slowly, "Why are you being nice to me?"

"Why wouldn't I be nice to you?"

"I'm just not the person people are nice too, that's all."

It hit me again, the guilt. I didn't care that this was for some sort of bet, I was going to be his friend.