Chapter 6: Monday's Gift To Me

It was too early to hear about Josh's work out routine. Dallon was a complaining about yogurt and how it was gross and Patrick was at home living the life with the flue.

"Guys, why don't we play the quiet game?" I asked rubbing my temples.

"You okay you seemed stressed." Josh being the dad of everyone seemed concerned.

"Yeah, I think." Truth be told, I hadn't been able to sleep. Honestly though, what percent of the teenage population does sleep?

He didn't look convinced but wasn't about to say anything to make me tell him either.

I took my last fresh breath before walking into school. The three of us parted our ways and went to our lockers that seem to be light years apart from one another. My eyes danced around the halls for a couple of seconds before I opened my locker and shoved my bag in. I was defiantly not the most organized person, as a matter fact I would probably be an OCD person worst nightmare.

The warning bell rung as I scurried along to my first-period class.

The day up until lunchtime was pretty normal; for a school day, that is. When I got to the lunch room I didn't see Josh and Dallon at our normal table. They both were sitting off with there "experiments" Note to self: we really need to get a new word for them. Fine then looks like I'm eating by myself.

I got my food and sat down at one of the tables. My mind wandered off again but didn't go anywhere in particular.  I started seeing flashes of someone but I couldn't make out who it was. Whoever it was I seemed to be close with. We were laughing but the person's laugh seemed blurred, inaudible. I rubbed my eyes trying to place the voice but I couldn't. I tried to give the person a name, but I couldn't. 

I signed and decided I would try to find Ryan and get progress done with him. There was no Ryan to be seen. I got up and walked around campus. Still, no sign of him.  I eventually decided to check the bathrooms. With the small sniffling sounds I heard from the first stall I drew the conclusion it was him. It seemed to weird to call for his name so I stood there awkwardly until he walked out. He gave me one glance before turning to walk away.

"Wait, " That got his attention. "Ditch with me?"

He looked taken aback. Heck, I was too and it left my mouth.

"It'll be fun." I tried to reassure him as I reassured myself.

"Why would I do that?" He still looked shocked but seemed more eased. That was a start.

"Because school sucks." I smiled at my reason.

"But why with me?"

"Do you want to or not?"

He fiddled with his hands for a while. "Okay."

Now it was my turn to be shocked. I tried to keep my excitement contained but I couldn't help but smile.

The bell was about to ring so we quickly made our gracious attempt out the door. We didn't stop running until we couldn't see the school anymore.

For the first time, I saw Ryan smile. He was crouched over, his hands on his knees gasping for air. Then out of nowhere, he started laughing! I laughed with him though I wasn't sure what we were laughing at.  And then it hit me: that laugh...that laugh was what I heard at lunch.

"I needed that." He took a sharp breath.

"Yeah, " I smiled again. "I did too." Still looking puzzled about my realization.

I felt around for my wallet to see if I had any cash on me. I pulled out a twenty. Thank God for me walking Mr. Rows dog. Don't know why he gave me a twenty but I'm not going to gripe about it. "You like pizza?"

He just nodded.

"Good, Piza Hut is around the corner."

"I don't have any money on me."

"Don't worry about it, " I eased.

"I'm not letting you pay for me, I just won't eat."

"It's fine, I want to. Besides, I won't be able to eat a box by myself."

He slowly nodded.

Our trip to Pizza Hut was quiet. I wouldn't say I was surprised though. We ordered a cheese and a Deseret pizza and sat in the back.

He ate like he hasn't seen food in years. I tried not to stare because that's rude. I let him eat as much as he wanted; only allowing myself two pieces.

"Thanks." he murmured.

"Don't mention it." I smiled.

He studied me looking confused, "Brendon?"

"Hm?"

"Why are you doing this?" Tears formed at the corner of his eyes.

"I want to be friends."

"I thought you hated me."

"Why would you think that."

He looked puzzled and then decided he was going to delete what he had said. "Nothing." And just like that, he was cold faced and looked like he hated me.