Chapter 9: Patrick has a breakdown

It's been a week and a half since Ryan and I had made up. It feels like no time was lost and I don't understand how I even managed to forget someone as wonderful as him. He hasn't opened up to me as much as I want him to but it's a good start. He's spending the night later tonight and it's weird how excited I am. Honestly, I feel like I'm in middle school again.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and when I took it out I saw Patrick's caller ID flash on the screen.

"Housekeeping," I stated while placing the phone next to my ear.

I heard a few sniffles before a full-on sob was released from the other end of the line. "C-can you come over?"

"Yeah I'll be there soon, I hope you're okay." I hung up and ran out the door not even bothering to tell my parents where I was going.

I didn't see the Stumps car in the driveway so I was inferring that Patrick was the only one home. I opened the door and heard Patricks cries from the upstairs. Not even thinking I had it in me, I sprinted so fast up those stairs you would have thought I played sports.  Once I was I'm his room I sat next to him not even thinking twice before pulling him into a hug. "What's wrong?"

He stayed silent for a while before sniffling. "I'm gay."

I tried to hold back a laugh, "That's all? Patrick, I already knew that."

"What? How?"

"We watched Magic Mike together in the sixth grade and you had a huge cardboard cutout of Taylor Lautner in your bedroom for two years and you only listened to one direction all through freshman year, so yeah I had an idea." 

He let out a laugh and sniffled again.

"I'm pretty sure Dallons gay too, actually scratch that he already came out never mind." I laughed, "Your parents aren't gonna care, they're so supportive and if any kids give you crap I will personally beat them up." I flexed stuff that wasn't there.

"Thanks, Bren, that really does mean a lot. Also, there's one more thing; I may or may not like Pete."

So uh yeah I might have actually choked, "What? Pete Wentz? That's who your gay goes to? Patrick Stump explains yourself, young man."

"First off I'm older than you so shut your face, second off spending so much time with him for this challenge (i forgot that was a thing oops) I realized that there's a reason why he's so messed up."

"Most people have reasons."

"Yeah I know, I just use to hate him but now I feel awful."

"Wow stump you're in every basic bad boy and good boy relationship there is out there."

"We aren't in a relationship."

"Yet."

He shook his head and threw his shoe at me. "This is why I hate you, Brendon."

"Oh come on you love me."

"Nope don't think I do."

"Oh, whatever." I looked down at my watch, "Oh shoot, I have to go."

"Where?"

Ryan and I had to keep everything a secret, the only way that he was spending the night is because my parents were going out of town tonight and I know Ashley isn't going to say anything. Ryans dad was out drinking on Fridays and wouldn't even notice his absence. I hated lying to Patrick but he wouldn't lose his lid if he found out what I was doing. "I have to go watch Ashley."

"Oh, well have fun. Thanks for talking to me."

"Anytime." I waved him off before walking to Ryans.

He was sitting on his porch with his head down.

"Hey, you ready to go?"

He nodded and got up still not showing his face.

I noticed the black eye but decided I already had an idea on what happened and if he was trying so desperately to hide it then I shouldn't make him more uncomfortable. "I was thinking McDonald's for dinner?"

"Sounds good."

"Okay great, Ryan?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm really glad we're friends again"