Chapter 3: The Nerve People Have

I really did try to pay attention to health. Really I did but (of course there is a but why wouldn't there be?) My mind was wondering all over the place. One minute I was thinking about me and Sarah and how much I missed her. Next, I was thinking about how I was going to get Ryan to even talk to me because at the moment he was acting like I'm invisible no matter how many times I've tapped on his shoulder. Then randomly I would hear the lesson which was about the dangers of unprotected sex which I mean I don't know why Mr. Armstrong couldn't just explain like the teacher from mean girls did. I mean, it would get to the point a lot faster than he was.

I rubbed my eyes sighing way too loud than what I was trying to be and that earned a look from Mr. Armstrong. "Am I boring you, Urie." He stated more than asked.

"Uh no, sir."

"Then please keep your thoughts inside your head."

I nodded and looked straight ahead feeling the heat prickle my face.

I never thought the sound of a bell would make me feel as free as it did today. Racing out of there I didn't even bother to look for Ryan. I didn't even notice the fact that Dallon was walking beside me. "Brendon!"

I jumped, "Holy mother of bagels Dallon! Don't scare me like that!"

"I've been calling your name for the last minute."

"Oh." Was he really? "Sorry, I've been thinking."

"Don't ever start out a conversation with I've been thinking because then I'm going to think you're breaking up with me."

"Who says I'm not?"

"Brendon! Don't joke around like that." He put his hand over his heart.

"I'm sorry Dallon I just can't  be with someone who's going to steal my mack and cheese."

"It was a one-time thing I swear!"

I laughed loudly feeling my knees weaken. "Are you coming over today? It's Friday so Ashley has guitar practice."

He went quiet as if he was pulling up a calendar in his head. "Yes, I think that fits with my schedule."

"Good because I need help with this whole Ryan thing."

"You still haven't talked to him? What a loser."

"Wow Dallon, thanks. Have you ever even talked to your Ryan?"

"I'll have you know that he's coming over to my house on Saturday to hang out. So you can suck my toe you peace of garbage."

"Noted. Well, will you at least help me? Since you know, you're so great and everything." 

"You said it not me. But just go for it okay? Don't be scared."

I couldn't help but let my eyes roll. "See you after class." I waved him off and spent the rest of the day scattered brain.

Eventually, world history came around. It really was lonely without Sarah. She could make me laugh about anything. Without her, I felt as though the world had become dull.

I stumbled out of the class late because I didn't have anyone to wake me up when I fell asleep. The halls were empty and Dallon and the guys were probably waiting for me. As I crept to my locker I could have sworn I heard yelling. It took me all of my pride not to run out crying like a little girl.  I didn't have much pride. Breathing in deeply I grabbed my things and followed the noise.

Two figures popped up; one of them was Nico Carbery and the other I couldn't make out. Everyone who was smart knew not to mess with Nico. He was buff and scary and that's all I needed to know to keep me away.

I heard a yelp come from the other which startled me. I guess seeing whoever it was getting smashed into the ground set a fire off inside me. I slammed myself against Nico causing him to fall over and revealed a trembling Ryan which made me feel even worse than I already did.

Ryan quickly got up and Nico did too. "What the hell you freak!?"

Before I could make a smart ass comment he punched me in the face. He also took my wallet before leaving.  Blood ran down my face and it stung when I wiped it away. My eyes shifted to Ryan who was staring at me.

"You okay?.." I asked looking at his already bruising face.

"I-I don't need your help. I can take care of myself so don't go pulling stunts like that again." Even though the words sounded angry his tone was more quiet and sad. Then he was gone.