Chapter six ~ The battle

Hermione's POV

Everything happened so fast and in such a blur.  But Mcgonagall duelled Snape and he disappeared trough the window. Everyone started running to different places.  Ron got the brilliant idea to get a basilisk fang from the chamber of secrets so he and I were running to the girls bathroom on the second floor. Then Ron surprised me by talking parseltongue to open the chamber of secrets.
"H-how?" I asked chocked
"Harry talks in his sleep sometimes." Ron shrugged
"Good work." I said impressed
"Thank you." He answered and we continued down to the chamber where the basilisk skeleton laid. Ron bent down and carefully took a fang from the mouth of the enormous snake.
He studied it closely and then stretched out the hand holding the fang to me. I took a step back and shook my head.
"No. No. I can't. You should do it."
"Harry and I have both destroyed a horcrux, it's your turn. You can do it." He insisted
"No I can't. It's better if you do it." I insisted
"Yes you can. Hermione you're the brightest witch of your age for Merlin's sake! If anyone can do it it's you!" He said encouraging
"Okay." I nodded. I took the fang from his hand and Hufflepuff's cup from my pocket. I laid it on the floor and took a moment to get ready.
"I'm here if you need me." Ron said assuring. I nodded and took a deep breath. I held the fang above the cup when it started to squeal loudly with a deafening sound. I grimaced and thrusted the fang into the cup with all my force.  It started to spin around and suddenly a big wave of water came towards us. Ron ran to me and helped me get back up on my feet. We tried to outrun the wave but we still stood there a minute later drenched and for some reason laughing.
"You did it! I'm so proud of you!" Ron said and hugged me
"Thanks to you. Thanks for being there for me." I said grateful
"Of course I'm there for you. You're like my sister Hermione. I'll always be there for you." He told me. I hugged him.
"You're like my brother to." I said.
"Come on, we gotta get to Harry before he gets himself in trouble." He blinked
"Yeah. Let's go." I agreed and we ran back to the school.

Once back in the corridors and the chaos Ron took out the marauders map.
"There he is!" He pointed at a name on the seventh floor just before it disappeared
"Where did he go?" He asked surprised
"The room of requirements." I exclaimed and we both ran up the stairs to the room where our best friend was probably risking his life without even noticing it.
When we got into the room of requirements the first thing we saw was Harry facing Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle.
Malfoy shot a spell towards Harry but I stopped it with another. They saw us and Crabbe shot the deadly curse towards me but missed. Ron and I fired spells against them and  they started to run away from us. Ron ran after them shouting;
"That's my sister you idiots!"
I got to Harry who were climbing up a high pile of stuff to get to the diadem at the top.
"How did you find me?" He asked with a raised voice so I could hear as I climbed after him
"The marauders map. Did you really think we were going to let you do this alone? If we're going to get in trouble we're doing it together." I said back.
"Thanks." He said with a little smile.
Harry reached for the diadem a few time but couldn't quite reach it.
Come on Harry. I thought stressed
The moment after he finally got a hold of the horcrux Ron came running screaming bloody murder something about Crabbe burning the place down.  We knew that it was time to run. Especially after we saw the huge massive fire that was chasing after us. We found three brooms and sat up on them. We managed to flew (Thank god for Fred's quidditch lessons) almost the whole way to the door when we saw Malfoy and Goyle trying to climb up a similar pile of stuff as the one Harry had found the diadem in. Harry seemed to think for a second before he turned his broom around and flew back to them.
"What are you doing?!" Shouted Ron
"We need to save them!" Harry shouted back. I was really proud of him in that moment.
"If we die because of them I will kill you Harry!" Ron shouted but followed after. I did the same. Harry got Malfoy on his broom and Ron got Goyle. It was lucky that I didn't need to take one cause I had trouble riding the broom as it was.

But somehow we made it out of the room alive. The diadem was luckily destroyed in the fire. Malfoy and Goyle ran away somewhere when Harry fell down against a wall. Ron and I sat down beside him.
It hurt to see how much pain Harry was in but when it was over he knew where Voldemort was.

We found him at the same place that we had found Sirius that night in our third year. Unintentionally we overheard a conversation between Voldemort and Snape.
It ended with Snape's death. I had never liked Snape but no one deserved such a brutal fate. For some reason Snape gave Harry one of his tears before he died.
We stayed with Snape until the light left his eyes. Then we ran back to the castle where the battle raged all around us.
We rounded a corner in the castles and came out in a wide corridor. The first thing I saw was Fred fighting some death eaters together with another red head. Percy? I thought. Was he back? Well on some level I wasn't surprised. Percy had many flaws but he wasn't evil in any way. I'd had a strong feeling that when he understood that the ministry weren't the good guys he would come to his family's side. And I was right.
"Hello minister!" He said as he fired a spell against the minister of magic that made black thorns grow out of his body.
"Have I mention I'm resigning?" He said ironically
"You're joking, Perce!" Fred exclaimed laughing
"...You're actually joking, Perce. I haven't seen you joking since..." Fred continued happily surprised. But he didn't get to finish his sentence.
The next moments went in some kind of slow motion.
They say that time moves fast when you have fun. Maybe that's why this moment moved so slow. 'Cause no matter how unpredictable death may be one thing is certain; it's never fun.

I could see the wall behind the love of my life and his brother starting to break apart from a massive force. I didn't even have the time to take out my wand, so I did the only thing I could do; I shouted as loud as I could, putting all of my strength into the word coming out of my mouth
"Protego!"
I ran towards Fred in a hopeless try to get to him in time to push him out of the way. That's when something big and heavy fell over me.
And everything went black.