Chapter seven ~ Sacrifice

// Okay before we continue this...
No, I do not like killing characters, believe it or not.//

Harry's POV

I laid on the floor. Gravel and dirt covering me. My ears rang but I wasn't in to much pain. I opened my eyes and saw only the floor and a broken window on the wall. Slowly I sat up. The first thing I saw was Fred and Percy laying on the floor surprisingly unharmed since they were so close to the explosion, they had only scrapes and some bruises. I looked around and saw Ron laying on the floor not far from me. Percy were on his way to Fred so I stood up and went to Ron. He woke up pretty quickly and looked around confused.
"What happened?" He asked
"The wall exploded." I explained.  Ron's eyes widened in horror.
"Where's Hermione?" He asked panicked. My eyes widened in the same way as I mentally slapped myself for not realizing it sooner. Hermione wasn't there. We quickly stood up and looked around the room.
"Hermione?!" Ron called out
"Hermione?" I called out.

That's when we saw her. She was laying under a rock motionless. We ran to her the fastest we could.
"Wingardium leviosa!" Ron exclaimed panicked and lifted away the rock.
There she laid with her head resting on a rock like if it was a pillow, bruises all over her and blood streaming from the back of her head.
We fell down on our knees beside her.
"No, no, no." I repeated panicked.  I took her wrist to check her pulse but there was none there. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I held my best friend's hand. Ron sat beside me also sobbing.

But that wasn't the worst thing. No, the worst thing was when Fred woke up and saw her. His screams of pure heartbreak and pain was the worst thing I'd ever heard. He broke down on the other side of Hermione and held her in his arms as he cradled her sobbing loudly.
"No, Hermione, No." He pleaded. Percy came up from behind, he too with tears in his eyes.
"Is...is she...?" He asked shaky. I just shook my head.
"No Hermione don't leave me." Fred cried
"How? How did this happen? She was with you. How did she get so close to the explosion?" Fred asked between sobs. Ron and I shared a look full of guilt.
"She ran before we could stop her. I think she was trying to get to you." I explained, Ron were to chocked to speak. We should've stopped her.
"You stupid stupid idiot." Fred mumbled in Hermione's hair.

Why did everything around us just keep on going? Why didn't everyone just put their weapons and wands down? How could the world just go on when Hermione Granger was dead?

I'm not sure how we got to the great hall but we did and now Hermione Jean Grangers body laid beside Tonks and Lupins. The great hall were full of people that had died in the war and their mourning families. The words of Voldemort from a few minutes ago echoed through my head. "You have let your friends die for you."
It was my fault that Hermione and everyone else here was dead.
Now she laid there with a broken Fred by her side and Ron crying while holding her hand on the other. The rest of the Weasley family came into the great hall on after one. George was the first and immediately he sat down and held his twin brother. Ginny saw Hermione and broke down in tears. I held her in my arms as she cried. Mrs Weasley cried too. To bee short, everybody cried.
Voldemort has given me an hour and I have something to do. It hurt to leave Hermione but all I could do for her was to make sure no one else dies. So I let go of Ginny and walked as unnoticed as I could up to Dumbledore's old office.
There I got the answers I needed. Now I knew what I had to do.
Ron would have to destroy the last horcrux. He would have to end Voldemort. I believed in him.
I walked past the great hall where all my friends and family still sat around Hermione. I didn't go in to them to say goodbye. They would only try to stop me. So I walked by on my way to the forbidden forest but before that I took a last look at Ginny. The love of my life. I wished that we'd had more time together. Maybe one day we could've gotten married and had a family. I wished all the best to her.
I looked at Hermione.
See you soon. I thought and continued to meet my fate.