Chapter fifteen ~ Understand

Hermione's POV

"Fred! I can do this on my own!" I laugh as he drives me towards the garden.
"Fine." He chuckles and lets go of the wheelchair. Everything went fine until we got to the stairs and I realized that I was going to need help. By Merlin's beard. I sighed in my head. I tried to steer the wheelchair so I could somehow get down the stairs but it was completely hopeless.
"Need some help?" Fred smirked
"Oh, shut up and help me." I sighed and he helped me down the stairs. We sat down at a bench in the garden, or more like he sat down on the bench with me beside him in the chair. We sat quietly for a couple of minutes before I couldn't wait anymore.
"How are you?" I asked. Fred looked at me confused
"How am I? I'm not the one in the wheelchair." He joked
"No Fred. Seriously." I looked him in the eyes
"I'm fine. Why do you wonder?" He asked
"It's just...you haven't seemed like yourself lately." I said carefully. He avoided my look
"It's nothing." He mumbled
"Yes it is." I insisted
"I almost lost you." He suddenly bursted out.
"I know Fred, I'm sorry..." I said but he continued
"No you don't. Just... just listen, okay?" He said and I nodded letting him continue.
"You know I'm incredibly happy and relieved that you're back and getting better. But I can't get rid of this feeling that I almost lost you. Heck, for a moment I actually did lose you. For a moment you were dead Hermione, because of me." I tried to interrupt but he stopped me.
"No, listen." He said "You nearly died saving me and Percy."
"What else could I have done, Fred? It wasn't your fault! You were going to die, I had to do something!" I interrupted. I couldn't just sit here watching him blame himself for my actions.
"No Hermione! You shouldn't have done it, okay?!" He snapped at me but when he saw my face he calmed down a bit, sat down and took my hand.
"Hermione, you're my life. What would have happened if you had died? Do you know what I nearly lost? I can't live without you! And I was seconds away from having to do just that. I...I just..." His voice was shaking and he sat on the bench with his head in his hands. I felt horrible. Of course I understood that it had been a nightmare for him but I guess I hadn't fully seen how bad it had gotten to him. But before I could do anything to fix it George came running up to us.

George's POV

I had been looking everywhere for Fred so when I finally found him sitting in the garden with Hermione I was panting and kinda sweaty. Then I saw the looks on their faces and the watery eyes of Hermione. I quickly understood what had happened but I had to fetch Fred.
"There's been a gnome incident. Fred, can you come help? Ron, Percy and Harry is already there." I panted. Fred looked at between me and Hermione uncertain of what to do.
"Go." She nodded with a faked smile.
"I'll be back soon." Fred said and ran away. I saw how she discreetly tried to wipe away the tear that'd escaped her eye. I was starting to follow Fred but I had to help Hermione first. So I turned to her.
"He doesn't get it." I told her.
"What?" She asked surprised.
"Don't get me wrong, he's my brother and I love him." I continued and sat down on the bench. "But he doesn't get it. He's too wrapped up in blaming himself for what happened to see why you did it."
"How can I make him see it?" She asked hopelessly.
"You can't." I shrugged "He needs to do that himself." she sat quiet for a moment before a look as if she had realized something and couldn't believe how she hadn't before.
"Just like you need to stop blaming yourself too." She stated
"What?" I tried to act confused.
"You can trust me, George." She said with that look that's like a reflection of her golden heart. So I couldn't do anything else than to tell her.
"They're my brothers, Fred is my other half and the one time we're apart he almost dies. If I had just stayed with him, maybe I could've saved him without you getting hurt." I confessed.
"Or you could've died too." She said and I knew she was right. But then suddenly as she stared at the horizon she started speaking.
"You know, I don't know what happened in that corridor when the explosion happened. All I know is that in that moment all I saw was the explosion starting to form and then it was like my body were moving automatically. I had no idea what I would do or how. My wand was in my pocket and in the moment it really mattered I couldn't remember a single spell I had ever learnt. And all I could think was that I had too save them no matter what." I just sat quietly beside her a bit chocked over her story, she was the one who always had a plan and knew what to do. But I let her continue her story listening to every word she said.
"I don't know where I got the spell from or the idea too scream it out loud but it was the best thing I have done in my entire life." She finished and I had no idea what to say to her.
"Without Fred, I don't know what I would've done. I'm glad you were there to save him when I couldn't. Thank you. " I said and looked her in the eyes with a smile.
"I'm glad you were there to support him when I couldn't." She smiled back.
"It will be an honor to have you as a sister in law."
"It will be an honor to have you as a brother in law as well." She said.
"I should probably go help with the gnomes." I said and stood up. But before I walked away I turned around.
"Don't worry, he will understand." I said and she nodded smiling and I walked back to the others.

Fred's POV

I was so stupid. How could I burst out at Hermione that way!? It was so meaningless too. Ugh I was so tired of myself. We fixed the Gnome problem quite easily when we worked together and I was just about to go back to Hermione when George came up to me and smacked me in the back of my head.
"Ouch." I exclaimed and rubbed the sore spot.
"You're an idiot. Go fix it." He told me
"I was on my way to do so but you interrupted me!" I groaned.
"Just go." He said  with a smile.
I found Hermione in the exact same place as I had left her in. Sitting in her wheelchair she looked out over the green fields completely lost in thought.
"Hi." I said as I sat down beside her.
"Hi." She answered.
"I'm sorry." I said. "It was stupid of me to think like that when I would've done exactly the same thing if it had been you or George or anyone. Though I'd probably not succeeded with the patronus charm so I would've died." I rambled
She smiled and her brown eyes felt like home.
"Can you forgive me?" I asked
"If you can forgive me too. I'm sorry that I put you through all that misery." She said.
"You saved both me and Percy. You're a hero and don't for a second, ever, forget how much I love that hero." I looked her deep into her eyes and kissed her. When we broke apart she looked at me with love in her eyes
"I will always love you." She promised

//So this was a bit of a long chapter and I don't know if it was good at all but I just wanted to write a chapter where Hermione and George bonded. Thanks for reading! If you have any thoughts on the fanfic I'm always grateful for feedback in comments. Though HATE IS NOT OKAY. If you don't like it, don't read it.//