Chapter seventeen - Australia

Hermione's POV 

The airport was very hot. I shouldn't be surprised really, I mean it was Australia after all. But I hadn't expected it to be this hot so now I was quite sweaty in my long jeans and T-shirt. Fred had a hand on my shoulder while I stood against my crutches. After months I had finally gotten rid of the wheelchair, though some days when it hurt really bad I had to use it again. It was a slow and rough process but I was moving forwards at least, I was getting better. That was what I kept telling myself to keep going the mornings when I couldn't get up from the bed because everything hurt too much.

Harry got us a car to take us to the hotel we were staying at. We had reserved the rest of the day for resting after the long flight. With my legs and back we couldn't take a portkey so we used the muggle way and flew over to Australia. Fred, who had never been on an airplane before, thought it was fun but said that he prefered to fly by broom, much more action.

That night I couldn't sleep. Not because my back ached the whole night through but because I couldn't let go of the thought that I would be seeing my parents again tomorrow. I had butterflies in my stomach that not even Fred's arms around me could make disappear. What if the counterspell wouldn't work? What if i couldn't get their memories back? They would think I was completely mad. And I would never get to see my parents again. Only other people who looked like them. They would only be Mr and Mrs Granger and I would be nothing to them.

I lay still and stared up at the ceiling. Then I turned around and looked at the walls. They were light green with white flowers on them, 108 flowers to be exact. I had the time to count them. And when the sun rose I officially gave up all hope of falling asleep.

Fred didn't wake up until 9 o'clock. By that time I had already come halfway through Hogwarts: A history. I figured when we packed for this trip that it would be good to have an all time classic and favorite with me. I had been right though I could not remember a single word that I'd read during the night. But, honestly, after all these years I knew the book by heart.

We met up with Harry at the hotel's breakfast buffé and by midday we headed off to find the house. I kept checking so my wand was still in my pocket all the time. I kept feeling like I would lose it or drop it. But it's not easy when you're walking on crutches at the same time.

Then, after a while, there it was. A small yellow house with a small garden, big windows and a small porch. A mailbox stood by the gate and on it said "Wilkins". We were there. We had found them.

"You go, we'll wait here." Harry said and nodded towards the door. I smiled nervously at him.

"Thank you." I said sincerely, hoping that he would understand how deeply I meant those words.

"Of course, you're my best friend."

I turned to Fred. He took my hand and squeezed it lightly before letting go. Harry threw the invisibility cloak over them while I turned around and walked up to the door and knocked.

After a few moments it opened and before me stood my mother. I hadn't realized how much I had missed her until that moment when she stood only a few feet away from me. I had to fight the urge to throw myself into her arms but all I wanted was one of her hugs.

"Hello." She said kindly

"Hi." I started uncertain. "I am here to talk to you and your husband."

"Oh, about what?" She asked interested but a bit confused at the same time.

"I would rather tell you both, it's faster that way." I explained.

"Of course, just a moment." She nodded then turned around and called into the house. "Wendell, come here for a second!"

"What?" Came my father's voice from inside the house and I could feel the tears starting to form in my eyes. So close. They were so close. He came to the door. He had some more gray hairs than he'd had the last time I saw him but otherwise he was very much the same. But he wasn't smiling his big smile that he had reserved just for me since I was a baby. I wondered if he still had it even though his memories of me were gone.

"Hello." I greeted. "This is going to look strange but bear with me a moment."

I took out my wand and quickly muttered the incantation before they started getting too suspicious. I focused on all the memories I had saved in a corner of my mind of us together. The memories I had taken but now was returning to them. My birth, my first steps, my birthdays, the first day of school, the day I found out I was a witch, all the breaks on Hogwarts. Every memory of me and the wizarding world were now returning to them. Their eyes turned glazed and empty for a moment and continued to be that way a little while after I had finished the spell. Then they returned to their original state and I held my breath as I waited to see if it had worked. Mom and Dad looked at me for three seconds then recognition was seen in their eyes and they both pulled me into a big hug that I had waited for for so long. When we let go with teary eyes after several minutes they looked at me and went.

"What happened?"

//Sorry it's been so long since I last posted. But I wanted to thank you all for your support and sticking with me through this months. Your comments have made me so happy. So thank you so so much. I will do my best to post the next chapter soon.//