A Familiar Place

Later that afternoon, Arthur left his job and took the long walk to the entrance to the Underground. The sun was not yet setting, but would be by the time he arrived home. He put on his sunglasses, shifting his bag on his shoulder. His mind was lethargic, dwelling on the look of sunlight through the trees, the sound of his shoes on the pavement, the footsteps of those dispersed around him on the street.

He caught a glimpse of the pub he had been to only yesterday, The King's Palace, and took a step in as he unwrapped his scarf from around his neck. He caught a glimpse of black hair in the far corner of the pub and rushed to the other side, sitting down across from the boy he just kept running into.

"Emrys, hello."

Emrys, who had been reading a book while sipping on what was clearly a glass of iced tea, seemed surprised at the sudden voice but not who it belonged to.

"Arthur, right?" He closed the book, eyeing Arthur with a curved brow. "Is there a good reason you keep showing up wherever I am? Or do you just like stalking complete strangers?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Arthur retorted, "First I see you at my favorite pub, then you're heading the same direction as me when I am headed to work, now you're here again even though you didn't even order alcohol or food. Which, speaking of, you didn't yesterday either."

"Good job, Sherlock, you've found that I don't drink alcohol here even though I patron. Genius." He grimaced, rolling his eyes.

"Anyway, I was hoping I would find you here."

Emrys looked concerned as he leaned forward, "Why is that?"

"I told you, I feel like I know you somehow. It's bothering me. Are you sure you don't know me from somewhere?" Arthur asked, suddenly feeling tired.

"I don't, now if you'll excuse me-" Emrys started, packing his things up.

"No, I'll go. I bothered you, you were here first. Sorry, uh, goodbye Emrys." Arthur insisted, standing up and taking his leave.

Emrys said nothing, going back to his book, unable to shake the distracted expression from his face as he read.

...

Arthur arrived home, scratching his black lab puppy on the head as he passed through the threshold. Arthur never talked baby-talk to his dog, which unnerved some of his friends like Finn, but he didn't like it much.

"Hey, Wade, did you vacuum the floor like I asked?" Arthur inquired, taking a look at the clothes scattered haphazardly in parts of the room. Wade wagged his tail excitedly, watching him dumbly. "You didn't, did you? I can always tell."

Arthur laughed, roughing with him for a few moments before changing into some lounging clothes. Then he and his dog laid on the couch and watched television, after an hour or so of the show he was watching he heard a ding from his phone. He reached to the side table and grabbed it, a text message displaying on his phone.

Arthur. It's Emrys. Hi. - Unknown Number

He stared at the phone in shock when another message came through.

Your phone number is on your public facebook, in case you're wondering. - Unknown Number

Arthur cracked a smile, saving the contact number before sending a message of his own.

And here I thought I made a bad impression. - Sent

You did, you prat. But you seemed hung up on this, I thought I'd throw you a bone. -Emrys

Didn't mean to weird you out, but I swear I feel like I know you. It weirds me out too. -Sent

Just stop following me, then we'll be good. Lol -Emrys

I bet you aren't even laughing. -Sent

You caught me. I didn't even smile. -Emrys

Disappointing. I bet you laugh like an ass. -Sent

Better than looking like one, Arthur. Goodnight. -Emrys

U too - Sent

Arthur looked to his dog, sound asleep as the television played more Midsomer Murders reruns. Adjusting his neck more comfortably on the couch he laid down to go to sleep.

...

He dreamed of a lake, and as Arthur peered into the water from the bank he couldn't see the bottom. It seemed to go on forever. On hands and knees he reached out a hand into the water and saw a yellow light glowing from the depths. Reaching out as far as he could, something touched his fingertips and he pulled a sword from the water.

He could feel its heft, feel the craftsmanship and detail on the hilt of the blade. The color of the blade was untarnished and the edges still sharp. He felt the name of the sword come from within him and steal a breath to speak its name, "Excalibur. You have returned."

Running his fingers along the blade, his awareness came to him within the dream. Where was he, why was he here, and what was this blade? He closed his eyes and the sword disappeared from his grasp. When he reopened his eyes, the dream had changed. He was in a forest surrounded by dense rings of trees, trees reaching so high he couldn't perceive the tops of them. He stood and reached out to touch one of the trees but it turned to dust under his touch. One by one they all seemed to disappear, and finally when there was one remaining he touched it and it felt solid. It felt real to him. He leaned his forehead against the tree, breathed in and--

...

His alarm blared, causing him to yell in frustration. The dog looked up from his bed with a sour look.

"Sorry, Wade. Bad dream."

The dog left the room and went into the kitchen only to flop loudly on the floor in there instead. Arthur felt like he knew those things from his dream, seen it all before, but the details faded more and more with every waking moment.

"What the hell was that all about?" Arthur grumbled, getting up to start his day.