Near-Death Experience

Arthur woke up at the hospital, touching the back of his head and wincing. As sound faded in to the bustle outside his room, he looked over at the broken expression on Emrys's face as he sat on a too-small chair in the corner of the room.

"Emrys, what happened?"

"You're awake." Emrys jumped up, joining his side. "You were hit by a car... How are you feeling?"

"Like I got hit by a car, quite frankly." Arthur hissed, touching the gauze on the back of his head again. The gauze covered the cut beneath it, superficial, but still sore.

"Nice to see you feeling good enough to make jokes," the doctor smiled, entering with a steady stride. "I'm Dr. Goode, I came to check up on you, see if we can get you checked out. According to your chart here, Arthur, you have a small, linear fracture in the parietal lobe at the back of your head. And because of the hard impact of when you hit the ground you also, needless to say, have a minor concussion. You were really lucky, it could have been much worse. So, tell me some of the things you are feeling now, physically."

"Let's see... Well, my thoughts are a little fuzzy, I have a headache... And my ears are ringing... I think. How long was I unconscious?" Arthur asked.

"A few hours," the doctor admitted, walking over to take a look at his wound again up close, peeling away the bandage. "You were semi-lucid enough to get a quick evaluation before we did x-rays but you were asleep from then until now. It is," she checked her watch. "Nearly 4am now, depending on how this evaluation goes you could end up staying here a few days."

"I have work-" Arthur started, wincing as he moved too quickly.

"Took care of it," Merlin tried to smile reassuringly, but his expression was tight. "Called Finn from your phone and let him know, he promised to talk to your work for you. He texted a while ago, instructing that he will let them know you need a few days off for recovery and not to worry about coming in for at least a week."

"Oh. Thank you, Emrys." Arthur was shocked, though he couldn't place why at the moment with his head as fogged as it was.

"Good friend you have there," she supplied. "Stayed calm enough to recount everything to the ambulance staff once they arrived. His thorough recount helped expedite the process of getting you the help you needed. That being said, Emrys, would you mind stepping out so we can begin the examination?"

"Of course," Emrys stood, legs wobbly, leaving the room. "I'll be back when you're done, Arthur."

Once he exited, the doctor began checking his eyes, reflexes, and so on as Arthur let his mind wander as he followed instructions. The doctor's voice brought him out as she had nearly completed the examination.

"Arthur, I need you to tell me your pain level. 1 from 10."

"An eight, I suppose."

"You seem to be doing alright, however I have a suspicion that you might be susceptible to an intracerebral hematoma. Typically, I would hold you here for observation. However, if you have someone trustworthy who can keep an eye on you I can allow you to go home. I think it is unlikely at this point but, to be sure, that is the only way I will release you before the end of next week. You would need them to sign a release that you will be in their care until the week is up." She watched with interest as he seemed to mull it over.

"I can see if my friends will check in on me after work on their way home-" Arthur began to offer, to which the doctor shot him a poisonous look.

"In that time, were you to suffer from a hematoma, you might be dead by the time they arrive. No. If you are being released it will be under vigilant care. Perhaps you could call a sibling, or your parents, or even your girlfriend perhaps."

"No options there," Arthur groaned, he was getting irritated. He wanted to go home, he felt (relatively) fine. Plus, he missed his dog.

"What about your friend outside, Emrys? He mentioned to one of the technicians that picked you two up that he had medical field experience. While I can't guarantee the validity of that, he seemed to know what he was doing to prep you for the arrival of the ambulance. Surely, you would be in capable hands at the very least." The doctor knew she was overstepping her bounds in the recommendation but could tell that Arthur's distress of being in a hospital and (possibly paying the fees of staying so long) was stressful and so tried her best to help.

Arthur was silent for a long moment before he pinched the bridge of his nose in thought, "Let me think about it, if you would, please."

"Of course," Dr. Goode smiled kindly, "I will be back to check on your progress in an hour. Feel free to alert a nurse if you decide beforehand, I just need to give you a once-over before you would be released. I'll be back."

A few moments after the doctor left, Emrys returned with a nervous look on his face. His face was pale and his hands were shoved in his pockets, clearly he had no sleep in the few hours since they had arrived.

"Emrys, I want to thank you again for what you did."

"It was nothing-" Emrys waved his hands jn dismissal.

"Dr. Goode said you told the EMTs that you had medical experience? I thought you were a product tester?"

"I was in med school before... I just never completed a degree, per se." Emrys untucked his hands from his pockets to fiddle with the hem of his shirt.

"Why not? If you don't mind my asking." Arthur asked, curious.

Emrys looked at his feet, silent before he whispered so quiet Arthur could scarcely hear, "Too much death and suffering... I didn't like to see it over and over again. I thought I could help people, save people, but sometimes you're limited by technology of the times... Our technological capability can decide who lives or dies."

As air gets swept out of sails, Arthur felt the air sour in his lungs in a way that felt oppressive, "Oh."

Quiet moments passed between them before Emrys spoke up, albeit quietly, "What did she say?"

"I can be released into someone's care, but I basically have to be babysat 24/7." Arthur cut to the chase, assuming Emrys would feel uneasy and pressured if he danced around it.

"Does she think the chance of hematoma is high?"

"No," Arthur shrugged, "but it's for safety, I guess. Can't say I blame her. Most doctors probably wouldn't release me, but she seems to trust your medical background. She said you prepared me well for transport, so thanks again, I guess."

"I can watch over you," Emrys blinked owlishly. "If you want me to, that is. I would just need to get some things from home and set some food out for the cats. They have a cat door so they can come and go as they need to."

"Are you sure?" Arthur asked. "I know it's really selfish of me to ask, after you saved my life-"

"You don't remember, do you?" Emrys asked, voice strained. "You pushed me out of the way, that's why you got hit."

"I did?" Arthur asked, shocked. "Oh."

"I'd be glad to watch over you. I'm... sort of qualified? Besides, I want to repay you."

"If you're sure..." Arthur offered, a subtle out if Emrys chose to take it.

"Absolutely. Before we leave, though, I am going to take a nap if you don't mind. The stress of all this kept me up."

"The doctor said she would check on me in an hour, go ahead. She can prepare the paperwork and all, while you get some rest. Thank you, Emrys. Really."

"Gladly," Emrys smiled sleepily, yawning before curling up in a semi-fetal position in the bedside chair. He fell asleep almost instantly.

Arthur, on the other hand, watched him with interest. He pushed Emrys out of the way? He never thought he was capable of doing such a thing, yet he did. As he began nodding off, he hoped Wade didn't miss him too much.