Ships in the Night

He had made a trip to the lake house a month later with his dog and was surprised to find his parents were staying there already. The place had been cleaned and dusted, with the great room's hardwood floor in the middle of a waxing when he was stopped at the entrance by his mother.

"Arthur, what a surprise," her voice was a little flustered. "We haven't gotten to fixing up your room yet.

"The surprise is mutual," he muttered, pulling back a little on Wade's leash. "Fixing up the place all of a sudden?"

"Well, your father finally listened to my advice and retired. We plan on moving here soon. He's painting the bathroom if you'd like to go say hello." She smiled apprehensively, "You can leave your dog with me. What's his name?"

"...Wade." He exhaled, his mother seemed calmer than she used to be, like she was when he was a kid. "Thanks."

She dropped gingerly to her knees to pet the dog, taking the leash from Arthur. "What a handsome boy. Oh-- walk carefully, Arthur, the floor is still a tad slippery."

After he took off his shoes and edged down the hallway he could hear his father humming quietly to himself, some old italian song his father used to listen to a lot on vinyl. He watched his father for a moment, much skinnier than he had last seen him, painting the bathroom wall a pale yellow.

"Hey, dad."

"Arthur," he gasped, turning around, a small smile on his face. "You're here... We saw you'd used the place recently. There was a fluctuation in the utilities bill, you know. Plus, the neighbors informed us two boys and a dog stayed here a few days a couple of months ago, assured us one looked like you."

"Ah, yeah. That was me and uh, Emrys. A friend of mine." Arthur caught himself, the thought of Emrys made him rub the spot on his forehead instinctively.

"Your head bothering you?" Arthur's father asked, returning his attention to painting as he spoke.

"Was in an accident a few months back, nothing major." Arthur whispered, talking more to himself. "I can leave, if I'm in the way."

"No, no," His father insisted, face calm, "stay a while, if you can. It's nice to see you."

Something warm bloomed in Arthur's chest, his parents had never been the touchy-feely type, but he missed their presence nonetheless.

"Not much to update you on, I'm afraid." Arthur admitted.

"Then your mother and I will talk enough for you. A lot has happened."

"I'm sure," he murmured. "I'll set my room up and walk the dog. Be back soon."

"Sure," his father nodded, eyes glossing over with thought.

Arthur set his things on the bed before returning to the dog which was laying comfortably with his head on Arthur's mother's lap as she knelt on the floor scratching the dog's ears.

He told her he was going for a walk and she nodded, promising a small lunch of sandwiches when he came back.

...

His walk was solely defined by the heaviness weighing in his chest. When he eventually sat down by the far side of the lake with the dog, his mind turned to Merlin again. What memories were he missing? What was so important that he still felt pieces missing?