nineteen ; i dreamed a dream.

Discussing dreams in glee club sounded like an uplifting time.

It was the complete opposite.

From where she sat next to Tina and behind Finn, she could see Mr. Schuester's reaction to Bryan Ryan. It was not comforting. Alicia covered her sheet of paper with one hand, the other gently rubbing Tina's shoulder. She did not like Mr. Ryan. She especially did not want Mr. Ryan to see what she wrote down.

"I'm going to guess that a lot of your dreams involve showbiz. Well, let me tell you. Showbiz dreams are the most unrealistic of them all," Bryan said.

Tina frowned. "But . . . that's what I want to do with my life."

"Oh, look, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, I'm just trying to spare you disappointment," he said patronizingly. Alicia narrowed her eyes, redeeming the scowl usually reserved for  Noah. He had no right. Who was he, anyway? Mr. Buzzkill?

Will's annoyance radiated. "I think we get your point."

Bryan's condescension multiplied. "Aw, well, Schuester here's a prime example. He used to have that glimmer of hope in his eyes that I can see right now in all of yours. But he couldn't make it happen for himself, so he now has to try and convince you all that it will happen for you. Guess what? His dream didn't work out. And neither will yours."

Alicia should've realized she had anger issues by now. Instead, she remained peacefully in denial, even as she jolted to her feet. Her paper fluttered to the floor. "Why are you such a pessimist? What happened to make you this mean?"

She would've continued, if not for Tina's sobbing. She returned her hand to her friend's shoulder, squeezing reflexively. Her attention focused on Bryan.

Bryan scoffed. "What happened to you to make you so naive? This is the truth, kids. Your dreams? That's all they'll ever be."

"Okay." Will stood up. "You're done here."

"You would be wise to show me some respect," Bryan retorted. Alicia didn't mask her disgust. Only people who gave respect deserved it in return.

Will stepped closer to Mr. Doom and Gloom. "You've said your peace. Now get out."

Bryan smirked. It was nowhere near as endearing as Finn's half-smirks. "Well, Schuester, I should thank you. You've made my decision about which program to cut a lot easier."

Glee club was in shambles. While Sir Insults A Lot did leave without causing a scene, suffering didn't decrease. Rachel and Kurt whispered in hushed voices, half-bickering over their Broadway dreams and half-sympathizing. Tina, nearing an emotional breakdown, wheeled Artie out as Mercedes followed, emphasizing once again how depressing that was.

Eventually, only Alicia, Finn, and Will remained.

"That was garbage, Mr. Schue," Finn said. Alicia nodded in agreement. "Why did you let that guy talk to us?"

"Principal Figgins' orders." Will sighed, running a hand through his hair. Alicia noticed that he did that while overwhelmed, similar to Finn and Jesse -- and very different from Kurt, who used far too much hairspray for that. "I'm sorry, guys. I know that was really . . . awful, but don't listen to him, okay?"

"It seemed like you two knew each other," said Alicia.

Will cringed. "Yeah. He was, um, actually in my high school glee club."

She blinked. "Say what?"

He waved his hand dismissively, even as Finn and Alicia stared as though he'd announced Bryan Ryan was secretly Madonna. "Yeah, uh, I don't have the best memories with him. But it's fine. Like I said, don't take anything he said to heart. I'll take care of everything. We are going to Regionals, guys." As he spoke, he gathered his belongings. "Okay?"