twenty-nine ; just the way you are.

Alicia realized that, after spirituality week in glee club, she probably didn't belong in a church. There was a certain irony associated with it.

But it was so gorgeous. 

Carole and Burt's wedding had come out of nowhere. Finn hadn't expected it. Neither had Alicia. While she knew he was trying to be as supportive of as Kurt, she could tell how much he struggled with it. She wondered if it was fear of his dad being forgotten. 

Alicia struggled for different reasons. She didn't believe in marriage. Not for herself. Which was inevitable, considering how her parents never married and still shattered apart. Relationships asked for heartbreak.

If your last name was Hastings, that is.

She glided through the church, observing the decorations. Kurt had managed to pull together a calming, autumnal theme. Russet and cognac was the color scheme, and all decor was coated in it with the occasional golden hue. Mostly from the lights. Most of all, it was bright. So bright.

When she found Finn, all coherent thoughts evaporated.

She'd realized her feelings the first night she saw him in a suit jacket. The same night he told Quinn's parents about her pregnancy. Seeing Finn clad in an actual suit, adorably struggling with the tie, made her breathless with affection. She cleared her throat, and he whipped around, smiling sheepishly.

"You're here," she said.

"You're beautiful."

Her breath caught. She tried to stammer out a response, but no sound escaped. Finn let out an uneven laugh. "Um, so I--I guess I never learned how to tie a tie."

Alicia smiled. "Sit down. I'll help."

She took the tie from him, moving closer as he sat down. This was the only time she would be taller than him. With a quiet sigh, she latched the tie around his neck, brows furrowing in concentration to get it perfect. She was so lost in her craft, she didn't notice how close they were. Her nose brushed his, and his eyes locked on hers.

Despite the rational voice in her head, she didn't pull away. She arranged his white dress shirt over the tie, lower lip between her teeth. "I'm really excited for your mom."

"Do you think they're right?" Finn blurted.

Her eyes flicked up to meet his. Their close proximity almost got the best of her again, but somehow, she managed to raise her eyebrows. Nonchalantly. As if being close to him wasn't intoxicating. "Who? About what?"

"Santana just, you know, said some things. This morning, while we were setting up. About Sam."

"What about Sam?" She hoped Santana didn't have feelings for him. Quinn seemed happy with Sam, and while Alicia didn't believe it was what she wanted, if it made her smile, she would respect it.

"About how Sam's the new 'glee favorite.' And it does kind of seem like he's some awesome new hero, especially after that locker room incident with Karofsky."

That, she knew all about. While she hadn't been invited to the glee girls' meeting because of her lack of a boyfriend, Quinn filled her in. Apparently Rachel asked Finn to stand up to Karofsky with the other guys. And he'd refused.

Sam didn't. He gained a black eye from it, but he didn't regret it.

Once Finn's tie was secured, she moved her hands to his shoulders. Their eyes met, and while their faces weren't as close as before, her heart still flipped. "No one could ever replace you. You're our leader, Finn. Besides, I don't think fighting violence with violence is going to help anyone, least of all Kurt. It'll probably just anger Karofsky worse."