twenty-one ; bites the dust.

* linked above is the inspiration for the opening scene of this chapter! i'm a sucker for those ' driving in the rain ' videos, baha, they're very soothing.

. . . 

Alicia relaxed into the passenger's seat, glancing at Jesse. Her feet were propped on the dash, combat boots tapping along to the radio. Blonde hair splayed behind her, a sharp contrast to the black of the seat, which matched her leather jacket. Pale fingers tapped against her tight jeans.

"All you're doing is staring and I am equally alarmed and flattered."

She rolled her eyes. Leave it to Jesse to make an arrogant remark. "No need for flattery. I was just thinking about you."

"And the flattery increases." 

Alicia sighed, turning to peer out the window. Rain pattered against the glass, making every worn down convenience store and marketplace they passed resemble nothing more than a bright blur in the darkness. The sun went down long ago. 

They'd spent the afternoon the local library, digging in the hopes of finding more sheet music than McKinley's library offered. Afterwards, they'd grabbed coffee at a quaint place called the Lima Bean. It almost felt like a date.

Which was utterly ridiculous. Jesse was still dating Rachel, even if she chose to spend the afternoon with Quinn. Rehearsing for Regionals. That was their excuse.

Alicia didn't believe it.

It was a few minutes past nine o'clock. She was exhausted. They spent hours together, bickering less than having actual conversations. Surreal. She didn't understand what sparked this sudden surge of affection from him, but she wasn't complaining. Being around Jesse made some of the perpetual loneliness dissipate.

She was happy he'd transferred. At least he would be around until his graduation in June.

"Why were you thinking of me?" Jesse's voice was uncharacteristically tentative. She awaited a sarcastic comment or eye roll.

When his eyes remained locked on the road, she cleared her throat. "You're one of my closest friends. You know that, don't you?" He said nothing. "Being around you makes me happy. I really liked hanging out with you today. We have to do it again soon." His silence continued. She blushed. "If you want, I mean."

"I'm not sure you will."

Alicia frowned. "Why wouldn't I?"

Jesse opened his mouth before shutting it abruptly. He was struggling with something. Panic flared and she did her best to stifle it. No need to freak out. "Ignore that. Even the most talented among humanity get tired sooner or later."

Her frown deepened. They passed under several streetlights. Their glow made illuminated the raindrops on the windshield, making them appear golden. As did Jesse's face. His teeth latched into his lip. She didn't need a psychology degree to recognize guilt.

"Is something going on?"

Another row of streetlights. Gold and white light flashed across her vision, causing Jesse's eyes to shine as he looked over. She stared back, unblinking and unwavering in the dimness, heartbeat beating too fast from apprehension. Pattering of rain noticeably increased until the music on the radio sounded muted.

Either too late or too soon, Jesse broke eye contact. "No," he answered timidly. "No, nothing's going on. You're just pitifully easy to mess with and your reactions are, by far, more entertaining than any bad reality program."

"Even the Kardashians?"

"Especially the Kardashians."

Alicia recognized the song "You Found Me" by the Fray, her favorite band, only a few verses in. She stared blankly out the window, feeling like the protagonist in a depressing teen film. All jokes aside, she couldn't shake the feeling of unease since Jesse's comment.