Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The carriage bearing the Winterley family crest arrived on time. Emilia joined Cassandra along with Lord and Lady Winterley. Decked out in the latest and finest fashions of the season, the little party looked every bit the upper class nobility they were.

"Emilia, you do look stunning tonight!" remarked the Marchioness.

Emilia wore a gown the colour of the deepest sapphire. Her blue eyes were positively luminous as a result. The fitted bodice hugged her intimately and swirled out dreamily from her waist.

"Those dandies will not stand a chance," Cassandra said laughingly.

James looked at his sister. "You are indeed the last one who should comment, Cassie. Every eye will be drawn to the pair of you tonight. You look beautiful, my dear."

Cassandra, who adored clothes and fashion, had chosen a gown the colour of gold. It simply shimmered. And against her dark colouring, the dress was striking.

She nodded her head in acceptance of the compliment from her brother.

"I should take the pair of you across my knee though. Really Emilia, I would think you would know better than to be out so late at night, or early morning as it were! Anyone could have seen you! Anything could have happened!"

Cassandra and Emilia knew better than to argue. Instead, they bowed their heads graciously and took the scolding, knowing it wouldn't last long if they adopted this approach.

"Really my Lord, the night is not for unpleasantness. Shall we forget about his for now? I'm sure both Cassandra and Emilia have learnt their lessons."

Diana shot Cassandra a concealed wink. Her brother let it go and the lady's breathed a sigh of relief.

Once inside the stifling confines of Lady Chancellor's ballroom, the friends mingled as they were expected to. Emilia hated every minute, Cassandra revelled in it.

Soon enough, they huddled into a corner to look on in amusement as the spectacle unravelled before them. All the young fops and dandies, the season's hopeful debutants and their hovering mothers were steadily arriving.

While elegantly fanning herself with her silk fan, Emilia remarked. "My God, Lord Stanford looks like a preening peacock!" Cassandra and Emilia giggled as the said gentleman made his way toward his party on the opposite side of the room. "What say you, Cassie? Would you marry a man like that?"

Choking on her laughter, Cassandra retorted, "Romantic that I am, even I have to draw the line at marrying a man who wears more powders and creams than I do!"

Smiling wryly while turning to look at her friend, Cassandra remarked sympathetically. "I know how it pains you to be here, Em, but you know Lady Chancellor would never have forgiven your absence. Only certain death would have been an acceptable excuse to stay home."

"It is not so bad. At least there is some amusement to be had," she smiled, still looking over at the conceited Lord Stanford.

Lowering her voice Emilia confessed, "By the way, I've put out some feelers regarding the mysterious Jonas Steerpike. Nothing yet. Hopefully one of our informants will have some news by the time we return home."

Cassandra nodded in approval. "Good. Any leads would be helpful in trying to solve these wretched murders." She lowered her tone even further. "Vamperic or not. I grow weary of all these dead ends."

"I know. But I fear we may need some help. This is getting out of hand."

"And all our usual informants are not talking, or just don't know anything. Perhaps I could ask..." Cassandra continued, unaware that their whispered conversation was being overheard.