Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Emmanuel was checking Cassandra's pistols for the hundredth time. They were alone in the library at present, everyone else was gathering their gear and getting ready for their departure.

"Now remember, keep your head low, your eyes open, and at any sign of anything you feel you cannot handle, you get out of there."

Cassandra nodded dutifully and solemnly as Emmanuel proceeded to tell his fiancé how to handle herself and the situation.

"You are not in the firing line. You just observe. Collect data. No heroics, Cassandra. Stick to the plan and everything will be fine-"

Emmanuel looked at her and narrowed his eyes suspiciously. She was accepting his edicts without an argument or question. In fact, she was looking up at him with those gorgeous, deep pools of honeyed emotion, nodding innocently. And he was willing to bet his title that she was laughing at him. In fact, the twinkles in her eyes were a dead giveaway.

He stopped abruptly. "Are you laughing at me, Cassie?"

She shook her head, all innocence, but bit down on her lip to curb her mirth from bubbling over.

Emmanuel put the pistol down and pulled her against his chest, bringing their faces into close proximity. Really close proximity. The mirth died, and Cassandra's heartbeat started to race, as it usually did whenever he looked at her.

He brought his lips really close to hers, and waited. Almost instantly she strained to meet his. He pulled back, just a little, teasing her. "Are you laughing at me?"

Cassandra realised what he was up to. "Yes, I was." She pushed forward and placed a quick, hard kiss on his lips. "Really, you do not believe this is the first fight that I have been involved in? There have been many. And usually, it is only Emilia and I. No help from anyone else. I do not want you to be worried about me."

He pulled her close. "I know this intellectually. I have seen you handle yourself. But the thought of anything happening to you..."

Cassandra held him a little tighter. "Nothing will happen to me."

"I cannot... be without you."

"You will not need to be without me. After this is over, we get to plan our wedding." Cassandra jiggled a little, and then squealed.

He chucked. "On the eve of battle, and she thinks of silks and satins, table arrangements and flowers."

Cassandra ignored him. She cupped his face in her hands. "I adore your little chuckle, Emmanuel. I am convinced you were blessed with it, because you were made for me, and the God's knew I would love it."

Emmanuel chuckled again, and Cassandra laughed. "I love it! Do it again?"

"You are incorrigible!"

"Only with you."

He rested his forehead against hers. "I love you, Cassandra."

"I love you too."

Emilia backed out of the room she had just entered. She had not meant to overhear the couple, but it had been unavoidable. Her heart burst with happiness for her friend, but it ached in equal measure for her own.

She had not slept the previous evening. All she could hear was Jasper's voice, see the hardened look in his eyes. Her stomach knotted as the vision floated before her eyes. Have I done the right thing?

Yes, yes, I have! He is a vampire. The undead! We have no future.

And as her head did battle with her heart, the object of her internal debate walked towards the library.