Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Well, I would certainly not call this evening a complete waste," said Emilia.

Cassandra looked over at her friend. "Neither would I. If it had not been for the interruption, we might have more answers. As things stand, we now know Steerpike was an informant, and working with our three mysterious gentlemen."

"Mysterious indeed. What do you suppose could have been so important that we were ushered out so quickly? I will tell you this much, whatever it was, they were all in on it." Emilia looked thoughtful.

"Everything about them seemed ... strange. There was nothing out of place, perfect civility... I sensed no danger to our persons ... and yet... there was something odd about the lot of them."

"Like they were all in on a secret," Emilia concurred and then added offhandedly. "So what do you make of Lord Hale?" At Cassandra's sideways glance, she added hastily. "And Lord Moire, as well."

Smiling to herself at Emilia's evident embarrassment, Cassandra left her friend, for now. "Well, they are both such handsome men, are they not?" Almost unreasonably so, she added to herself. "But there is this cloud of secrecy and intrigue surrounding them. Perhaps we aught to get George to get some information about them? Maybe that would answer some questions. Gentlemen and Jonas Steerpike. Something is odd."

"Yes," Emilia agreed.

The rest of the journey to Emilia's house was completed in silence, each woman wrapped up in her own separate thoughts.

Upon their arrival, a servant rushed out. "Lady Emilia, a note for you, just arrived this past hour."

Emilia scanned the note as she alighted from the carriage and then passed it to Cassandra, speaking quickly, worry evident in her voice.

"It is from John. There will be no rest for us tonight, Cassie. We need to head to the docks. Another possible murder."

Cassandra nodded. "I will meet you back here in thirty minutes."

Across town an unmarked carriage was speeding toward the London dockyard. Inside, three gentlemen and a lady were having a serious discussion.

"There is more to those two women than what meets the eye. They know something they are not telling us," Emmanuel said to his attentive audience.

"You could hardly expect them to confess to perfect strangers," Elizabeth reminded him chidingly. "Besides, we were not very forthcoming either."

Grasping his wife's hand and kissing her fingers gently, Mick laughed. "Always defending your sex, my love. For all we know they could be up to their eyeballs in trouble."

"With a capital T," Jasper added mockingly.

Elizabeth squeezed her husband's fingers while turning her attention to her sibling. "Brother, since when have you shied away from trouble? Especially when presented in such pretty packages?"

Both Jasper and Emmanuel snorted, but not without Elizabeth noticing that neither of them objected to her statement.

Mick brought the conversation back to the relevant. "I agree with Emmanuel. And my wife," Mick added when Elizabeth turned her glare onto him. "They could be in danger if they poke around in the wrong holes. I think we need to find out who they are and what possible connections or interest they could have in these murders. Before one or both of them gets hurt."

"My men will see to it first thing in the morning." Count on Emmanuel to enjoy digging up dirt.

Jasper continued. "Thank heavens they know nothing of the information we received before their departure this evening. Another murder, so close on the heels of the last one? The culprit has developed a taste for blood. It would explain the frenzy. We need to find the killer before he or she exposes us all."