Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Cassandra pulled on her black leather gloves and spared a final glance at her appearance. Back in black. She sighed dramatically and stuck her tongue out at her reflection. Not the most flattering of colours, especially since she was en route on her first patrol with the intriguing His Grace, Emmanuel Moire.

Just thinking his name sent her stomach into a riot of sensation. She seemed to have lost a little of her self-control where he was concerned. The man is positively mesmerising! she thought.

"But I cannot let him know that," she said to her reflection. She pulled her hood up and over her head. "Come on Cassie, this night is about catching a killer, and Lord Moire, well, he is just a man." A gorgeous one, her conscious shouted back as she made her way to the stables.

They had decided to go on horseback, making it easier to get away, should there be any trouble. George had seen to it that her mare was saddled and ready. Entering the stables, she was reminded of the sweetest memories from her childhood.

Going riding with her parents, helping the stable hands feed the horses, playing with the cats, watching James with his dogs, racing Miranda, or playing hide and seek. She stood for just a second and just inhaled the memory laden fragrances.

Nostalgia wrapped its arms around her. There were the smells from the various polishes used on the saddles, she smelt hay, fresh, and like sunshine against the cold night. And she smelt the horses. She smiled. She could almost believe she was ten again.

"My Lady, you look very far off."

Inside, her heart leapt right into her throat. Outwardly, Cassandra breathed in deeply and then opened her eyes. She stared into an ocean. Even with only the candles lighting the stable, Lord Moire had the bluest, most intensely cobalt eyes she had ever seen.

"Your Grace, you startled me."

He raised an eyebrow, questioning her calm exterior. "Apologies. And I thought we had decided to drop the formalities." He took her hand and brought it to his lips. "Please Cassandra, you would honour me by using my name."

When she could breathe again, Cassandra just nodded. Not really even sure what he had said.

"We should get going."

Emmanuel swept aside and watched her as she brushed past him. "You have some wonderful horses."

She walked up to her mare. She was saddled and ready. "Thank you, yes. My brother, James, and I fell in love with horses when we were very young. My parents loved to ride. And we would spend every moment out of doors. After my mother died, my father could not bring himself to ride without her."

Cassandra blushed at having said so much. She had never meant to. She was grateful for the long shadows which hid her face. She occupied her fretful hands by stroking the mane of her beloved horse.

"You were a gift, were you not, beloved Sadie?" The horse, recognising her mistress, nuzzled at Cassandra's hand, looking for a treat.

Emmanuel watched the beautiful woman who seemed to have forgotten his presence for the time being, enjoy her horse. Cassandra laughed, a throaty, wispy sound as she murmured, "You are a greedy little beast, are you not?"

For the first time in his life, Emmanuel felt utterly enraptured by a female. There had been many women in his past, but they had been mostly play things, used for pleasure, and amusement. Somehow, and he didn't know why, his whole being told him that this woman was different.

She certainly was beautiful. But that wasn't it. There was a sureness of character, bravery, a courageous spirit, and watching her with her horse, a devotion and compassion for her friend, and her animal. His heart shuddered a little in his chest, and he shook himself, recalling the purpose of their meeting.