Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Emilia paced around restlessly as she waited for Lord Hale to arrive. He had sent a note from Konstantin House that morning, indicating that he would collect her in a coach at midnight for their patrol. Since receiving the note, written by his very own hand she had not failed to notice, she had felt restless and fidgety, unable to concentrate.

Staring at the note now, for what was surely the hundredth time, she lightly traced the strong bold script with her index finger, and she could not help imagining the man behind the words. He really was an intrigue. And a vampire, she reminded herself. She still had difficulty grasping the actual concept. It seemed completely unreal and yet that was the reality. He lived in the shadows of the day and night, drank blood for sustenance and would probably live forever.

Emilia shook herself from her musings. It was almost twelve and he would arrive shortly. She moved over to the mirror, and appraised herself. She had worn her usual apparel for after hours patrolling. Black pants and shirt, along with the full length cloak to conceal her shape from prying eyes. Hardly fashionable, but oh well, this will have to do, she decided. She refused to wonder why she even cared about what she was wearing. She usually didn't.

Carrying her weaponry in a small satchel, she met Charles in the hallway.

"Lord Hale has arrived, my Lady."

Her heart sped up a notch. "I will meet him outside. Do not wait up, Charles. I do not expect us to be back until an hour or so before sunrise."

Seeing Lord Hale lounging casually against the open carriage door, Emilia's heart started racing. His attire was similar to her's, also all in black, except for his unruly blonde curls which looked like a halo against the all black backdrop. He turned those brown pools of intrigue in her direction and then cocked his head to the side as if hearing something. Then he turned a dazzling smile in her direction.

Breathe, Emilia reminded herself as she approached him. "Good evening, Lord Hale." She tried to sound indifferent, relaxed, firmly in control.

He bowed formally. "My Lady. Run a marathon, have you?" he remarked amusingly as he watched her closely.

Emilia frowned in confusion for a second before she realised that he could hear her heart racing. Insufferable, beast! She refused to give him the satisfaction of rising to his bait.

His hand was at the ready, waiting to assist her into the carriage. On instinct, Emilia grasped it. At the electrifying contact of skin on skin, she emitted an audible gasp. Her face bloomed but she refused to look in his direction. She let go immediately and curled her fingers into a fist, as if trapping the tingles.

She sat back in a huff as he instructed the driver to head toward the East End. Sneaking a look at him as he sat opposite her she noticed that he was staring at her. Cheeks flushing again, she burst forth, "Really, Lord Hale! Are you determined to stare? It is rude, you know," she added lamely.

"Do you not think its time we dispensed with the formalities? You may call me Jasper," he said making it sound like a challenge.

Emilia noticed that he ignored her question. She swallowed convulsively. Calling him by his given name would sound so... intimate. "Jasper," she said on a whisper as if trying it out. It sounded nice.

He smiled. "See, that was not so hard, Emilia."

Her name sounded different on his tongue. Almost like an endearment. And with that thought, she knew she was losing her mind. Endearment? Really! She glanced out of the window to break the spell he seemed to be weaving around her. What was it about this man that seemed to get under her skin? One look, one touch and she was reduced to a puddle of nervous energy.