Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Everyone was gathered in the drawing room at Konstantin House. Emmanuel had asked one and all to don their finest attire for the occasion, as he had an announcement to make.

Unbeknownst to him, Emilia already knew what was about to happen, because Cassandra had confessed to her, and the vampires had guessed days before. However, no one wanted to ruin this moment so they all remained silent.

Standing at the fireplace, drink in hand, Emmanuel faced his friends. "I feel a tremendous amount of relief at being able to stand here, facing all of you and knowing that the danger is finally over. We have all fought valiantly to make our streets safe again, and to keep an important truth from becoming known. I am also finally delighted to have been able to repay a debt, long overdue."

Emmanuel looked at Mick and raised his glass. "Old friend, we are at last equal."

Mick chuckled and raised his glass in salute. Elizabeth, who was standing alongside her husband, smiled at Emmanuel's mention of how he and Mick had become friends. There really was nothing like saving someone's life, which forged an everlasting bond of friendship.

Emilia was standing not too far from Elizabeth, trying desperately to keep her eyes off Jasper. He was standing in the shadows, alone, and apparently hanging on to Emmanuel's every word. Since his confession he had not once been in her company, unless he had to be, and he had made absolutely certain that there was no reason to exchange any pleasantries with her.

Whenever he addressed her, it was always out of necessity, with eyes that were empty and a voice devoid of any emotion. Seeing him so changed, lacking his usual jovial demeanour, twisted her insides in ways she was too afraid to contemplate. I did this to him, she thought in agony. She missed his quick wit, humour and his endearing ability to poke fun at everything.

Cassandra, who was stranding beside her, laughed at something Emmanuel said, and that brought her out of her reverie. She turned her attention back to the man addressing them.

"There is also another, more personal matter that I would like to bring to everyone's attention. Cassandra?" Emmanuel extended a hand to her and gestured for her to join him.

Taking her hand in his, he squeezed hers. "We have wanted to share our happy news with all of you many times over the last few days, but with everything going on, we decided to wait. Finally, our wait is over."

He had eyes only for Cassandra as he declared, "It is my greatest honour to announce that this beautiful woman beside me has agreed to become my wife."

The whole room erupted in cheers as everyone moved forward to offer their congratulations. Emmanuel received a lot of hearty hand shaking and back slaps from the men, and Cassandra was treated to kisses and joy filled hugs.

Even Jasper seemed to get into the spirit of things, wishing both his friends his heartfelt congratulations. Afterward, he retreated to his chair in the corner of the room and watched everyone else laughing gaily, as he brooded in silence. Every now and then though, he would add a comment to the swirling conversation, but never quite got completely involved.

While Cassandra noted that he did not seem quite himself, she was too happy at that moment to give it too much thought and truly there was very little that could ruin her mood.

Emilia on the other hand was painfully aware that Jasper seemed withdrawn, as though deep in contemplation. Many times she was tempted to go to him and ease that frown that seemed etched in stone, but held back knowing that she had no right.

I miss him. The thought seemed to come from out of nowhere.

The festivities continued for a few hours, everyone chatting animatedly about the wedding plans. The women were excited to know what ideas Cassandra had for her wedding dress, guest list, trousseau and the like, while the men preferred to talk about Emmanuel's plans for the honeymoon. The couple had decided to get married as soon as the arrangements could be made.