Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Emilia took a seat in the parlour where she was directed to wait for Elizabeth. She fidgeted with her clothing, feeling rather unsettled. There were so many things running ragged through her mind.

Her undeniable attraction to Jasper, her desire to want to be with him ... but not knowing how long that life should be.

Lost in her own thoughts she didn't hear Elizabeth enter until she took a seat beside her. "Emilia."

Flustered, Emilia looked at the woman who had become such a close friend. "Elizabeth, I am sorry. Forgive my poor manners. I did not hear you come in."

She smiled. "Not at all. You looked about a thousand miles away." She took Emilia's hands into hers. "I was expecting you."

Not even bothering to pretend not to know why, Emilia launched right into the reason for her unexpected visit. "I have ... some questions. Forgive me if I seem forward but there was no one else I could ask."

"About my brother." It was a statement.

"In a way. But also about you. Elizabeth, Jasper asked me to marry him and I ... I honestly do not know what to do."

Elizabeth looked at her young friend with kind, sympathetic eyes. She understood her turmoil so well. This was me but a few years ago, she thought.

"You are not sure if you are ready or willing to become a vampire."

"Yes... No!" Emilia stood and walked the length of the room. Taking a deep breath, she turned and sat down again. "I need to know how you made your decision. And no, Jasper has not asked it of me, he would not, I believe. But I do not see how this could work unless I do." She felt so agonised. "How could I stand watching myself grow elderly, withered and feeble while he stayed eternally youthful? How could I expect him to still love me when I look old enough to be his grandmother? He says he would love me no matter what and gentleman that he is, I know he would stick by me to the end. But is that what I want?"

Compassion flooded her. "I cannot make this choice for you, Emilia. You understand that." At the other woman's nod, Elizabeth continued, "But I will tell you how it was for me."

Emilia turned her full attention on Elizabeth.

"My Mother died giving me life and my Father died when I was 22. Jasper inherited his title quite early at 30. We only had each other left as there were no aunts and uncles, only very distant cousins whom neither of us cared for particularly. Not long after being orphaned, Jasper had to travel to France to tie up some loose ends with regards to my father's business dealings. As a mortal I did not like sea travel, and Jasper knowing this, insisted that I stay behind and await his return. I am sure he has told you all this?"

Emilia smiled gently. "He has. But I do not mind hearing it again."

Squeezing Emilia's hands in support, Elizabeth continued, "It was on that voyage to France that Jasper was turned. I will not go into those details as you already know them. Suffice it to say, he did not know what to do. Pretend to be dead and leave me to the mercy of my distant cousins, or take his chances and tell me the truth. To give himself time to adjust, he could not come back immediately. He was newly turned and afraid he might harm me. So he pretended to have to stay in France for almost two years. He always made some excuse as to why I could not see him. When he knew it was safe, he came home and told me everything." Elizabeth got a far-off look as she remembered. "Naturally I was shocked, even scared, very scared, truth be told. But I loved Jasper. He was my brother and all I had left in the world and I could not..." she clarified, "would not, abandon him.