No Chance for One More Day

15. Zack

No Chance For One More Day

"We're going to bed. Don't wake us. Don't catch anything on fire. Don't rip up any fields that we use regularly." Pa started telling us, Johnny kept nodding but he had a grin on his face that I knew better than to think he was going to listen. He's Johnny fucking Christ.

Johnny lead everyone down to the barn, apparently the upper loft was partially redone and made into what was supposed to be kind of like an apartment until Johnny decided to run off to California.

But it meant it was a room that was pretty sound proof, that also had a bathroom and a fridge. It's perfect.

Johnny had bought a keg, his favorite wine, some jack and some tequila. If we were leaving tomorrow- we wouldn't be leaving til late afternoon at the earliest....even by then we would be walking sideways.

"Well, have fun..." Bailey said sitting on the stairs as they all walked away, Ma and Pa had went in. I had a cigarette in my mouth and a beer in my hand already, I was gonna drink away the darkness that was starting to seep in.

The last night here.

The last chance.

At what? Fucking things up between my best friend and his sister?

"Aren't you coming?" I asked motioning towards the now lit up barn.

"I can't make it down there and Ma doesn't want me drinking." She shrugged. I sat down next to her, our shoulders touching as I looked out across the darkened landscape. I was going to miss this place, it was its own kind of beautiful. It was a new kind of silent that I had gotten used to. You know, plus the scenery. Insert famous wink here.

"I'll carry you." I said putting my cigarette in my mouth and handing her my beer. She laughed as I picked her up and she squealed when I acted like I had lost my grip and was about to drop her. I smiled and started walking down to the barn, I noticed she took a few drinks of my beer and even took my cigarette from my mouth to ash it. I acted like I didn't see her take a drag or two.

If I wasn't careful I was going to make huge mistakes tonight. Johnny and I had talked, he said he would respect if I chose to move forward with Bailey but... but.... If something went wrong he couldn't promise he wouldn't be able to keep it from affecting us. Was I willing to screw up my friendship and my band?

I sat her down by the couch that was facing the beer pong table, naturally it was Brian and I against Midget and Horsecock.

"OOOH!" I said punching the air, I had gotten us another win again. It had been an hour or so and we were all seeing double.

"Alright, you two are the best." Johnny slurred. "Listen, why don't we... I'll get out the quad and we can tear it up."

"No, I'm not hearing from Pa later." Bailey protested as I sat next to her, I had given up on staying away from her. I only had one night left and I wasn't ... I wasn't going to stay away from her because I wasn't gonna see her again. Was this going to make it harder to leave? Probably. But hey, that's what I'm here for baby! To complicate things!