Baby Its Cold Outside

28. Zack

Baby Its Cold Outside

"Oh look, John's here!" Ma said putting her napkin on her plate and getting up from the table. Just as promised we made it for breakfast, apparently that was the only stipulation to staying in the loft. I think she just wanted us to still be around which, of course we would be.

She stood by the door in wait, and sure enough the door opened.

But it wasn't Johnny. It was Lacey. Surprise!

"Oh." Ma said taking a step back, she was completely shocked. Bailey let out a small laugh but took my hand as we stood to welcome them.

"Ma... Pa... This is Lacey." Johnny said proudly.

"Oh hello dear!" Ma said hugging her. "Come in, it's cold!"

Lacey sat beside Bailey, immediately more comfortable around us. We talked about their trip as Ma made them plates of food and we all ate. Johnny glanced at us and I almost let go of her hand, but he smiled and looked away. He really has changed, definitely for the better. I couldn't wait for tomorrow and our surprise... the only one that didn't know was Bailey, I felt awful for such a huge secret being kept from her but like her Pa said – she'll be happy.

After breakfast Johnny helped Ma with the dishes and the girls excused themselves to go see the horses, something Lacey had mentioned quite a few times about doing when she got here. She loved horses, but never really got to be around many being from LA. I took the time alone to go out back to smoke a cigarette and call Brian. I needed some advice.

"Hey man!" Brian said into the phone. "What's up?"

"I don't know how long I have, so just let me get this out." I sighed. "So we got a little ... heated last night."

"Like fight heated or like fucked her heated?"

"We didn't fight." I clarified.

"Ohhh."

"Anyways." I went on quickly. "She had a panic attack, like I was attacking her."

"Oh no." He groaned. "What did you do?"

"Just comforted her... what am I supposed to do? Do you think she's afraid of me? Do you think this is going to ruin our relationship?" I let out the rest of the air I had been holding in, glancing around to make sure I was still alone. "I have this surprise coming tomorrow, and I'm terrified she's gonna hate it now because I don't think she is comfortable being alone with me."