Chapter 19

Someone was hunting me. I didn't see his face, but I knew he was staring at me. Darkness covered me, ridding myself of my sight. Faintly, I heard something click and then... a bang. Pain spread across my chest, throwing me to the ground. I gasped. Thick liquid spread from the hole in my chest, spreading to the ground underneath me. A figure stood above me. In my dimming eyesight, I saw a white mask.

I stared at the empty cupboards in a zombie mode. After I left one of Corey's safe house last night, I had a nightmare that woke me up at three thirty in the morning. Since then, I've been pouring my attention into the file of information on the situation on Ashley Waters High school. The cover story for the Academy's appearance is to set an example to the students and to gain attention for the school board to give more money to the overcrowded school. What confused me was the money that was already donated was written in the accounts that the cash was used to buy equipment yet there were complaints from both the teachers and students that the school needed new equipment. Something was odd. We had to be careful, too. There are many people who could have done this. We had to make sure that we knew who were innocent and who were guilty. Add this to the growing drug problem, and I have a huge headache.

I grabbed the Jax's car keys. Once again, he and Caiden went out. Being apart for weeks made them eager to spend time with each other. I walked down to where the black SUV sat and climbed in, but I didn't want to move. Maybe I need coffee. I perked up when I knew where to go.

Fifteen minutes later, I walked into a small coffeeshop, enjoying the smell of fresh ground coffee. Around the café, I noticed familiar Academy members that I've seen around, but the Academy dog that I came to see was behind the counter. His brown hair was longer on the top and was brushed to the side. His eyes were different yet beautiful. His left eye was a blue and his right eye was green. When he spotted me, he smiled and jumped over the counter. "Sang!"

I wrapped my arms around him. "Hey, Marc."

"What are you doing here?"

My eyes zeroed on a steaming mug of coffee. "Caffeine." I said in a monotone voice, yet I swear I felt drool coming out the side of my mouth.

Mark wrapped an arm around my shoulders and started to lead me forward. "Well, then, little bird, you came to the best place. I just made a new blend. It's a raspberry crème brulee blend. What do you think?"

I moaned as the delicious flavor went down my throat. "Like heaven. Raven told me that you found Kayli. What happened?"

Marc looked around us in case of prying ears. "We were about to meet you at the mall last week when someone texted us a picture of her. We couldn't believe it. She is in Charleston somewhere, but we don't know why she is here or why she hasn't tried to contact us."

When I met the Toma team years ago, they were a broken family, bent on finding their friend, Kayli, who had been kidnapped a year before. They had followed a trail to New York and had involved themselves in a gang. When I rescued them and had to go into hiding, they were wary of me until they learned that I was not interested in them or their story. Over time and in their own way, they told me that they were searching for her. It was then when I remembered them and the girl they were searching for. Whenever I went to Academy gatherings with Owen and Sean, I saw a girl with brown hair and green eyes surrounded by a team of five. I didn't go near them because they were older and scary. Ever since the mission in New York, we have been great friends.

"Kayli must have her reasons. The girl that you guys told me about wouldn't be ignoring you."

He smiled at me. "You know, you remind me of her."

I quirked an eyebrow at him. "What do you mean?"

His lips twitched into a small smile. "You and Kayli have big hearts. You two would do anything immediately if it was to help anyone. Plus, you both are kinda reckless."