Chapter 20

After leaving Silas with my number, I made my way back to my apartment, but when I got there, it felt claustrophobic. Instead I decided to go to one of my favorite spots. A cool breeze lifted my hair from my skin. The sun shined brightly. Today was a great day to explore the forest near Uncle's diner. Years ago, I used to retreat into the forest for peace after spending a long shift working for Uncle. I looked up into the sky. Clouds dotted the sky, but I doubted that it would rain. As soon as I stepped into the forest, I immediately relaxed and ran.

My muscles pumped as I swerved around the trees and took sharp turns. My hair flew behind me in the wind that I created by running, and my heart soared. It was times like this that I felt free from my past, from expectations, from failure. A large rock came up ahead in my path. Behind the rock was a tree that stood a few feet away. The limbs were a bit too high for me to grab on the ground, but an idea popped in my mind. I quickened my pace and ran at the rock. With a burst of strength, I leaped from the rock, reaching for the branch. My hand hit the wood hard that it scraped the inside of my palm, but I grabbed it and pulled myself up. Without missing a beat, I climbed high in the tree then jumped. My body shook at the force I had landed on the limb of the next tree. I continued to jump from tree to tree until I came to the edge of the forest that met a small neighborhood. I jumped from the limb I was perched on and rolled when my feet touched the ground.

I stood in the tree line. I had traveled farther than I intended. The years that I have wandered the forest, I tried to stay away from the houses and people in general. A memory passed through my mind of one day in the forest.

The heat from the kitchen warmed my back. Today had been a busy day, especially since we were short staffed with Molly calling in sick. I instantly volunteered to help, earning a huge smile from Uncle. The crowd seemed unending, but I was glad to be back from my mission. After being gone for two months, I had intended to stay with Dr. Roberts, but he was helping Owen and his team of eight brothers. Thankfully, Uncle had space for me.

A glance at the clock showed that it was time for me to leave. Sweat dripped down my face and my feet ached. After having Joey take my place, I went into the back to Uncle's office. Knocking, I tentatively poked my head in. "Hey, Uncle. I'm done for the day. I'll see you at the house."

He smiled. "Sure thing, little bird. Get some food to eat. I don't have much stuff at home." He said sheepishly.

I frowned at him. "Uncle, are you not taking care of yourself?"

He burst out laughing. "No, my nephews are either taking the food to cook or to pull pranks. I seem to keep running out of food."

I shrugged at him. "Oooo-kay. I'll see you later. Bye."

He pecked a kiss on my cheek, and I walked out of the office. When I walked into the kitchen, my stomach grumbled. Looking around the kitchen, I had a mission to find the ingredients for my specialty dish. I pulled a pan out and sparked the fire. With some butter, I put two pieces of bread onto the hot pan. Once the bread was brown enough I added a piece of cheese and slices of apple. The smell of my grilled cheese sandwich with apples had my mouth watering and stomach growling. I placed my sandwich in a takeout box when the door to the diner opened, and laughter drifted through. I smiled at the laughter and easy banter among the group of friends. There were about seven or more people to the group.

"You did that on purpose," a voice growled. "You had an easy job to do. You were to lead me over a stream with a blindfold over my eyes, but what do you do? You manage not only to drop me in the stream but also take down another group."

There were chuckles before a voice pitched in. "Hey, sorry, little brother. I didn't mean to get you wet. I got distracted. A cloud reminded me of a cupcake."