Chapter 33

I stirred the pot, the smell of the taco soup making me hungry. After that fiasco with the flour, Gabriel, Victor, and Luke went to clean up as Nathan and Silas helped clean up. North had helped me chop some ingredients. Victor had lent me a white button up shirt after I dusted the flour off my arms. After all the ingredients were clean, I chased all of them from the kitchen in case one of them messed up again. I was engrossed in making the food when I felt the air shift behind me. I whirled around with my wood spoon up in the air. A hand caught mine, the spoon only a few inches away from a face.

I blinked at the sight of Owen staring down at me. His eyebrows were scrunched in confusion and surprise. "Ms. Soren?"

I gulped. "Mr. Blackbourne, what are you doing here?"

He stared at me, giving nothing of his thoughts away. "What are you making, Ms. Soren?"

My heart beat faster. Did he remember me making this, but that was almost eight years ago? "I'm making a recipe I learned from a friend."

He looked at me before letting my hand go. I rubbed the skin where he touched. He seemed to notice my movement and his gaze softened. "Forgive me, Ms. Soren. Did I hurt you?"

I shook my head, avoiding his gaze. Before I could say anything, Sean and Kota walked into the room. Sean smiled at me. "Hey, Blossom. What are you doing here?"

I smiled back at him. "Victor caught me in the hallway and invited me."

Kota's eyebrows drew up in surprise. "In the hallway?"

I nodded. "I live down the hall in apartment 419. I moved in a week ago, but spent the past few nights at a friend's house." I looked back at Owen and Sean. "Isn't it unusual to have the vice principle and school doctor at a student's apartment?"

Mr. Blackbourne straightened his tie, a nervous tick that I learned when I was living with them. "Yes, but I am the guardian of Victor Morgan. He is under my care until he turns eighteen."

I nodded, remembering that Victor was emancipated but Owen was still taking care of him. "Oh, I hope you are hungry."

Sean skipped to where I stood. "I definitely am. For some reason, this smells familiar."

I shrugged. "I got this recipe from a friend. I haven't made it in a long time, but it's one of my favorite recipes."

Sean smiled before pouting. "It smells good. For some reason, no one likes my cooking."

Owen sniffed. "That is because it is horribly tasteless. Even Dr. Roberts can cook better than you."

Sean rolled his eyes before picking up the spoon. He was about to bend down to take a taste when I batted his hand. He looked up at me in shock.

"Don't do that," I pushed him away. "It's hot. You'll burn yourself."

Sean looked over my shoulder and smirked. I turned around to see Kota bringing the spoon up to his lips. "Kota!"

He looked at me guiltily before smacking his lips. "It's really good."

I huffed before putting the pot on low to simmer. With the soup on simmer, I waved the three out of the kitchen to where the others were lounging around on the couches. I smiled at the two large sofas that were filled. Victor smiled at me when I entered and patted the space between him and Gabriel. As soon as I sat down, Gabriel shot upward and disappeared.

I turned towards Victor. "Did I do something wrong?"

Victor chuckled. "No. He just went to get something."