Chapter 40

The music pulsed around us. Body danced, and sweat slicked our skin. I looked at Owen. Although I had just seen him earlier today, I was seeing him through different eyes. He lost his suit and was clothed in dark jeans and a silver button up shirt with his sleeves rolled up. The top three buttons were unbuttoned, and his hair was messy. His black eyeglasses were missing, but I knew that even without them he could see clearly. Right now, he looked like a nineteen year old boy.

He looked down at me with a passion that threatened to consume me. His hands roamed over my back but kept them above my waist. He bent down. His breath was warm against the side of my face. "Hello, Sang."

"What are you doing here?" I looked at the loft to see Adrian had rejoined his partner and Raven.

Owen seemed to blush. "I might have guilted the Toma team into helping me find a way to meet you."

I looked up at him in shock. "What?"

Owen looked around before tugging on my arm. "Follow me."

He led me until we were outside. We walked a distance away to make sure no one was listening. Once we were alone, I pulled my arm away from him. "What do you want Owen?"

My long time friend ran a hand through his hair. "I wanted to tell you that I miss you."

I gave him a sad smile. "I missed you, too."

He came at me with a speed that shocked me. He had wrapped his arms around me and hugging me tight. "Oh, Sang, I know that I messed up when I saw you at Mr. Griffin's house. Please forgive me."

Tears pooled in my eyes before they spilled down my cheeks. "I've already forgiven you at the pier."

We stayed like that for minutes. Our arms wrapped around each other. I felt his heat and shivered, remembering that I wasn't wearing anything but this skimpy dress. Owen must have felt it because he pulled back and pulled his shirt off. He wore a white t-shirt but wrapped his silver shirt around my shoulders.

"Thanks," I whispered.

We sat down on the bench. "That day on the pier. Why didn't you reveal yourself? Why did you run away?"

I sighed. "I told you. I have a mission to catch Volto. I can't let anyone I care about get into his hands."

He seemed quiet. "Anyone you care about? Does that include me and Sean?"

I turned towards him. "What did the letters do to you? I've never seen you so unsure of something, Owen."

He leaned back on the bench. His eyes searched the stars. "I've cared for you for so long, Sang. What Volto wrote to me had me questioning everything. He told me that I could never learn to love because I was incapable of emotions. And if I did, you would be disgusted with me for having those feelings towards you."

I leaned my head against Owen's shoulders. "I've never and will hate you or degrade you. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to protect you."

Owen chuckled. "How have you been, Sang? What have you been doing in the Academy?"

I sighed. "You know how hard it is for girls in the Academy. It's even harder for ghosts. It's been difficult and sometimes terrifying. I don't think I can share much about my past, Owen."

He nodded. "I already guessed that."

"Where's Sean?" I looked around.

Owen looked away. "Sean doesn't know what I'm doing."

I stared hard at the side of his face. Silver eyes looked at me before swerving away almost immediately. "Why?"

"Sean and my friendship is a bit strained after my actions towards you. I needed to meet you alone." He looked straight at me. "Sang, please call him. He's going crazy from not hearing from you. Most of my team is too."

"I will," I spoke.

Silence spread between us. I knew that I had to leave soon. Owen felt my position change. "Sang, where have you been?"

"I can't say," I said in reply.

"Sang, do you still consider me as family?"

I looked at him in surprise. "Of course."

He seemed anxious. "As a brother or as something more?"

I couldn't breathe. "I've always loved you more than anything, Owen, but-"

I was cut off when he framed my face and stared at me with his eyes. He looked into mine, and I let all my suppressed emotions for him ever since I first saw him show in my eyes. With an agonizing slow movement, he lightly pressed his lips onto mine. His lips are softer than anything I've ever known. He doesn't move, waiting to see my response, but when I don't move away, he kisses me again, stronger and almost desperate as if he has to have me, as if he trying to memorize the feel of my lips against his own. When he finally pulls back, I feel like I am floating on air and like my heart is going to burst with happiness.

"Sang, when you get done with your mission, will you come back to me? To us?" He searched my eyes.

I gulped and horror filled me. What have I done? What about Sean? What about Kota? What about the other men that already have parts of my heart? "Oh, God- I shouldn't have done that."

Owen flinched back, and I felt awful. Tears ran down my face. "I'm so sorry. It's just that-" He rubbed my back, urging me to continue. "It's just that I also have other people whom my heart belongs to. It's not just you."

He seemed confused before he understood. "You love Sean, too."

It wasn't a question, and I nodded. "And I also love your brothers, too. I don't know how but they stole a piece of my heart."

Owen pulled me into a hug. He calmed me down. "It's okay, Sang. Everything will be okay."

I shook my head. "I don't think it will."