Chapter 37

We walked down the hallways until we approached the music room. Owen opened the door for me, and I walked in first. In the corner was an old brown piano. Music papers were stacked neatly in a pile on top of the piano. Laying lengthwise on several chairs was a black violin case.

Owen cleared his throat. "I presume that you didn't bring your violin?"

I shook my head. "No, I am in the process of getting one."

He nodded and crossed the room. He unlatched the case and the a beautiful violin was revealed. He lifted the precious instrument out of the covering and held it out to me. I smiled shyly and crossed the room. I gingerly took the spine of the violin into my hand and grabbed the bow. When I had them in my hands, old memories came to mind, and I positioned the violin beneath chin.

A brown eyebrow rose in surprise. "You know how to play?"

I looked at him. "A little bit, but it was a long time ago. A family member taught me."

Owen looked at me before picking up a music sheet. I peeked at the sheet at the simple notes. "Can you play this?"

I smiled and started to play. My movements weren't the most smooth since I was relying on memory but I was able to finish from beginning to end. At my last note, Owen nodded. "Your playing was good. I sugge-"

He was cut off from what he was saying when there was a knock at the door. Owen crossed the room and opened the door. In the doorway was Principle Hendricks whose gaze was directly on me. He smirked and turned on Owen. "Did you think that you could bring another of your people without me knowing?"

I was thankful for my acting classes and adopted a confused look. "What do you mean?"

He looked at me. "Don't tell me that you are playing coy?"

"Mr. Hendricks," Owen said icily. I couldn't imagine the look on Owen's face, but it was enough to have Hendricks give his full attention to him without a smirk on his face. "You may want to go over her records. She is not part of our group and if you try to use her against us, you better be careful."

I was thankful to Owen for speaking up but what he said hurt me. I knew that he was saying that I wasn't part of the Academy, but it sounded that I didn't belong with the boys.

Hendricks scowled and left the room. Forgetting where we were, I walked to him and laid my hand on his back, which was something I did with him years ago. I gasped as he whirled around. I withdrew my hand and took a step back.

His face softened. "Forgive me, Ms. Soren."

I gave him a wary smile. I was upset that I forgot who I was. I was Rose, not Sang. "It's okay."

To calm my nerves, Mr. Blackbourne played a melody on his violin for the rest of class time. It was a Norwegian tune he had started to learn when I left. I remembered the day several years ago  when he promised one day he would teach me how to play it. After he was done, the bell rang. I gathered my things and turned back towards Mr. Blackbourne. 

Owen walked me to the door. "Your next class is with all the boys, correct?"

I nodded. "Yes. Why do you ask?"

He glanced at me. "The boys are protective but they will also listen to you. North will scream and be angry if you get hurt, but don't let him or any other push you into walking away from something you want to do."

I faced Owen and gave him an understanding smile. "I will. Thank you, Mr. Blackbourne."

He gave me his millimeter smile. "You're welcome, Rose. I expect you to have your violin for tomorrow's lesson."