19. Jace- Birds Flyin' High

(Requested)

Soulmate AU!

Your soulmate writes/draws/marks themselves, you mirror that image.

And when you find your soulmate, two golden arrows pop over your head, pointing at the direction your soulmate is in.

__

It all started when the bluebird tattoo showed up on my chest. I was confused, mainly because I didn't know what it was. I was still in middle school, oblivious to how I got it and what it meant. I showed it to my friends and they got all excited.

"Dude! That's like, a soulmate mark! It means that they got a tattoo done!" one of them exclaimed, pointing to the bird. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Well what if they got it because they're part of a gang?" I replied solemnly. "I don't want my soulmate to be a gangster. Gangsters are mean." The group stared at me in surprise.

"Do you even know what a bluebird means here? It brings good luck to someone, and it's a protector. Your soulmate must have had a good reason for getting one. To protect someone else... or you." My heart sped up.

"You think so?"

__

"Eun-Tae," Jace sighed, propping up his chin with a hand, looking at his other arm. Vasco looked at his friend questioningly, the straw from the chocolate milk still in his mouth.

"Do you think I'll find me soulmate soon? They seem to be in the similar district as us, since there are math notes that they scribbled down, similar to our lessons." The big eared male scratched the back of his neck and unzipped part of his grey jumpsuit, showing the part of his chest where the bluebird was.

"They also put a heart around the bluebird in pen." Vasco perked up and leaned closer.

"Your soulmate must like your tattoo, then." Jace's face was tinted pink as his dark brown eyes sparkled in excitement.

"I hope so."

__

A few years later, and I transferred to Jae Won High as a sophomore. I nervously clutched the straps of my backpack as I quickly strode to the front gates, bowing at the security guard on my way in. People were looking at me, but looked away as I caught them glancing.

"Ah, I'm so nervous..." I thought, my (Eye Color) eyes squeezing shut as I thought about what my department would be like. "I hope they're nice."

__

"Leon Lee, right?" I asked, smiling. "It's nice to meet you." She shook my hand and gave a small grin.

"Likewise." I hesitated to ask the dreaded question.

"Have you... found your soulmate yet? I mean, it's too early for me to decide, and I have this bluebird tattoo-"

"Wait, you have one too?" I jumped up and blushed, not knowing what to say.

"I-I do... where's yours?" She lifted up her pant leg and pointed to her ankle. My heartbeat dialed down, filled with disappointment.

"Ah, mine's on my- my chest," I murmured, pointing to the left side of my heart. She sighed and pulled down the fabric.

"We'll both find our significant others eventually."

__

I sat alone at lunch, quietly resting in a tree, enjoying the birds chirping as they fed their young, and the faint clamoring of students during the break. I almost fell out of the pink-leafed tree as someone called my name.