Chapter 23: Sick - P1

There isn't a love quite like a five year olds. June's cackle and her smile made Jack's heart flutter just as much as Poppy's voice made him fall a little more in love. He loathed week days, sending her off to school in her little uniform dress and backpack. June shifted her bed into Jack's room so she didn't have to keep getting in his bed but could still be close to him.

Jack would meet the bus at the end of the long Drovers Paradise driveway, every afternoon and today was no no different.
"Afternoon Brian." He waved, helping June down the stairs.

"Afternoon Jack."

"Say Thanks June." Jack told her, crouching down to her level.

"Thanks Mr Turner." She sighed.

"No problem June." And he drove away.

June's face was pale but her cheeks flushed red. She was groggy and could barely stand up. Jack furrowed his eyebrows, it was bound to happen but he hadn't prepared for the illness side of caring for June.

He pressed his hand against her forehead; "June are you feeling alright?"

"My head hurts Uncle Jack, and so does my tummy." She groaned, falling into his arms. "I fell asleep and Miss Manson yelled at me and sent me outside."

"Where was Poppy?" Jack asked.

"She had to go and talk to Mr Crickmay, you know the principal." June's voice cracked.

"It's alright kiddo, c'mon we'll go up to the house and try to have something to eat then you can go to bed. I'll have a chat with Miss Manson for you, how's that sound?" He asked, picking her up and holding her tight. June nodded in agreement and he carted her up the gravel driveway.

-

"I'm sorry Uncle Jack I didn't mean to vomit." June cried, gripping the old ice cream bucket.

"June you don't need to apologise kiddo, at least you got it in the bucket." Jack screwed his nose up, taking the bucket and setting it outside. He walked back into the room and put his strong arm around her shaking body.

"You're still very hot." He sighed, handing her a glass of water. "Little sips okay, don't want any more vomit."

He held her tight as she sipped at the water. He had to break her fever, "keep drinking kiddo, let's go have a shower." Jack hoisted her up, into his arms, kissing her forehead and taking her to the shower.

"Alright baby, sit there while I go and find something to bring that fever down." He placed June under the lukewarm water. He walked outside, running his fingers through his hair.

Why couldn't he be a mum? They always knew what to do. Why couldn't he think of anything to do for the kid?!
He went to the freezer and retrieved an fruit juice icy pole, his mother had always given these to Lucy and himself when they were sick.

Jack grabbed the towel from the hook and picked up the sobbing girl from the shower. He rubbed her tiny body dry, her heart thumping and forehead sweating.

"Oh kiddo, bloody hell." He held her tight, handing her the icy pole, which of course she took eagerly. "We'll put a new set of pyjamas on and go down to the big house, what do you think?"

June nodded slowly, resting her head against his shoulder, closing her eyes and sucking on the sweet orange icy pole.

Although 3 in the morning, Jack had no where else to go. He wasn't her mother, he wished he'd taken more notice to what his mother used to do for them.

In those moments, carrying the shaking little girl through the night, he missed his mother. He missed the scent of her lavender perfume and the strawberry jam simmering on the stove. He missed her caring hands, that would cup his cheeks and her soft lips that would press against his cheeks then curl into a smile. He could still remember the utter heartbreak he'd felt when the police called to say she'd passed away. His chest physically hurt, he couldn't even imagine what June felt watching her mother die.

"Jack what's going on?" Poppy yawned, opening the door.

"She's so sick Pop, I can't break her fever and she's vomiting." Jack hadn't realised how worried he was until his eyes started to well.

"It's alright Jacky we'll sort her out." Poppy ushered them into the lounge room. The fire flickered in the wall, and the smell of warm coffee filled their lungs.

"Lay her on the couch." Poppy said, pressing her hand against the small of his back, just to feel him against her. "How Long has she had the fever."

"She said she felt sick this morning but we still sent her to school. God, she was almost frothing at the mouth when she got off the bus." Jack explained, running his fingers through his hair, internally screaming.

"Poor Bub," Poppy rested on her knees, her hand stroking June's head. "Don't worry June, you're going to be alright."

Poppy put her arms around the fretting Jack, pulling his head to her shoulder. "You've done everything right," she said, "but we'll give it an hour and if she's still as hot as this we'll take her into town."

-

So the night progressed. The warmth of the fire swirled around the two bodies that cradled the little girl in the hope her fever would retreat.

But it didn't.

June got sicker. Her body shook uncontrollably, her furious vomiting frightened the hell out of the man who loved her so dearly.

"June, listen to me, we're going to get you in the car and get you into the hospital okay, this is very important kiddo." Jack held her as she screamed.

So they drove.

Parking quickly in the hospital car park, just in time for June to be sick again. Jack held her tight, wishing with every piece of his being that this wasn't something serious.

"Excuse me, yes, hi, my name is Poppy Hughes and this is Jack and June Riley, we have an extremely sick little girl here, she's had a fever for over 12 hours, vomiting complaining of head aches and stomach aches." Poppy explained to the nurse.

The nurses face fell, she looked down at the June and quickly ushered the three of them behind a curtain.

"If Jack could lay June onto the bed, I'll get an IV in straight away." The nurse informed. "I'm Olive by the way."

Jack bent down and rested June's shaking body on the cool bed, she screamed and wrapped her little arms around his neck.

"June, you gotta be brave for me okay? Just like when Mum died, be a big brave girl for me. I'll be right here the whole time, Poppy and I aren't going anywhere." He told her softly but firmly. She clung on, but reluctantly put out her arm.

June knew those IV needles, she'd seen the doctors insert them into her mother's hands and that's the same place hers was put.

"Good Girl June! Well done kiddo." Poppy kisses her temple softly.

"I'll be very quick, I have to find a doctor for you all. Don't worry it'll all be fine." Olive shot them all a smile before dashing off into the corridor.

"Can we climb in too?" Jack asked the groggy June, who clung tight to the teddy bear, he didn't even realise she'd bought until that moment.

She nodded, and Poppy and Jack manouvered themselves on each side of her.

"It's all gonna be fine June." Jack whispered. "I promise."