Chapter 31: Gus' Goodbye

Dust particles stuck to Jack's sweaty skin. He wiped his brow and pressed his hat firmly onto his head. June's little blue jeans were already covered in dirt and beer and they hadn't even been there two minutes.

"We're very late kiddo, c'mon let's move." Jack tugged on her arm.

"Slow down Jack, I have little legs." June whined.

"Quick I'll race ya," he suggested, "from here to the chute."

She grinned.

"Ready, set, GO!" He announced and the two of them took off running.

"I'm going to beat you!" Jack urged.

June threw her head back with laughter as she ran, her little boots sending clouds of dust into the atmosphere.
The two of them hit the aluminium bars of the chute, simultaneously. Obviously Jack had let June catch up, one of his steps were five of hers.

She wrapped her arms around his leg and held on tight.
"I love you, I love you, I love you." She said happily. Jack chuckled and ruffled her hair.

"G'day Jacko, how are ya?" A tall man, his face covered with stubble, appeared beside them. His head of blonde hair was covered by a large Akubra hat, that shielded the whites in his bloodshot eyes.

Jack turned his face to the man, he put out his hand, "Good thanks Gus, how ya keeping?"

The tall man let out a deep laugh; "Well, I'm still alive aren't I?"
Jack chuckled along with him.

Gus had been the love of Lucy's life.
Lucy had been the love of his.
The two of them were the most loved characters on the rodeo circuit. He'd clap, holler and erupt into a fit of excitement every time Lucy was let out of the chute. They'd slow dance in the middle of the arena after each run, they'd sing to every song that played at the bar. Gus looked after Lucy and Lucy felt safe. They were soul mates, well the closest thing to soul mates Jack had ever witnessed.
Until one night.
Lucy had spent the night in a caravan park cabin, with a bloke that had pulled her in by her pony tail. Battered and bruised and knowing she'd end up pregnant, she left Gus leant against his ute with tears in his eyes.

The man who slept with her was charged with rape, but 9 months later a little girl appeared and Lucy never rode another Bronc and never saw Gus again.

"Who might this be?" Gus bent down to June's level.

"This is June," Jack answered.

"She yours?"

"Well she's my niece." Jack explained.

"Oh, it's an honour to meet you June, my name's Gus Reid," Gus put out his huge hand and June slotted hers in it.

"Nice to meet you Gus Reid, June Riley." She replied with a toothless grin.

Gus returned to his tall stance, he looked over at Jack;
"Lucy's her mother isn't she?"

"I only had one sibling Gus."

"She's exactly like her." Gus swallowed hard. "In every single way."

"I know." Jack said softly.

A hopeful look filled Gus' eyes, "Is Lucy here Jack?" Gus questioned.

"No Gus," Jack's heart broke, "she's not here, she died a while ago."

Gus seemed slightly shocked at the revelation. He let out a heavy breath.

"How'd she die Jack? What the hell happened to Lucy?" Gus whimpered.

"She crashed the car," June informed.

"She what?!" Gus gasped. "She was always so careful."

"Even the most careful people can die Gus, you of all people know that." Jack told him.

"I know, I know." He replied before letting out a heavy sigh.

"I love her, so much, everyday I've waited for her to just turn up, I didn't even know where to find her." Gus' lip trembled.

Jack could picture the smile that would line Gus' face when Lucy appeared. It was formed by pure love, and it didn't leave his face until she left.

"Why don't you come back to the station with us?" Jack offered. "Say goodbye?"

Gus' eyes glanced from Jack to June. Her blue eyes made his heart pound and tears form. Her long dark hair blew in the gentle breeze and he couldn't help but smile. He'd never felt a love like Lucy's, his soul mate left him because this little girl came from angst, but that woman had bought him such happiness and this little girl returned that with just a smile.

He nodded slowly; "Thanks Jack, I'd really appreciate that."

•••

Holding the urn was like holding her in his arms. He could feel her touch and hear her voice, as the stars twinkled he knew she was right there beside him.

"She loved you Gus, till the very end, I'm sure of it. She had pictures of you hung on her wall and one sitting by her bed. She had your name engraved on a necklace for God's sake." Jack patted Gus' shoulder.

"I know," Gus replied simply. "She's still in my wallet." He chuckled.

Jack hauled himself onto the tray of the ute, leaning his back against the Cold steel.

Jack watched his old mate closely. Gus' back was to him, and he was watching the stars.

"Hey Luce," he whispered, "I've missed ya bub, I always knew you'd end up in the high country, I'm sorry I never got to share this with you." Gus sniffed.

"If you stayed I would've loved that kid, that little girl that's asleep inside that cottage, with all my heart because I love you," He voice cracked, "she's so beautiful Bub your little brother, as irresponsible he is, is doing a good job, just like you wanted. That little girl will always have a friend in me. Always, no matter what I will make sure she has love."

He buried his hand into the dusty urn, he let the ashes fall between his fingers as he sobbed.

"Good bye my love, I hope your soul is safe knowing you're so loved." He kissed the name engraved on the urn. "See you in my dreams."

Jack wiped his eye as Gus turned around.
"Can I swag it out tonight, up here? I just don't want to leave her just yet." Gus asked.

Jack nodded; "I'll come and get you in the morning."

"Alright thanks."

"No worries mate." Jack smiled, lifting his leg into the drivers seat.

Gus called him back, "Hey Jack, really, thanks."

"Like I said, no worries." And he drove off down the mountain.