Chapter 37: Hospital

Poppy caressed the back of Jack's cold hand with her thumb. He lay so still, taking the odd breath when he needed to. She hummed softly as the early hours of the morning ticked through.

"But come Ye back when summers in the meadow, or when the valley's hushed and white with snow. 'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow, oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy I love you so." She quavered with sadness, her forehead resting softly against his cheek.

She'd never seen Jack so quiet and vulnerable before. His face was almost the same shade as the Hospital walls. She held his hand against her cheek, her fingers against his pulse, making sure his heart was pounding.

She trusted this man, more than she'd ever trusted another.
She respected this man and all he'd done for not only himself but the little girl who he adored.
She loved Jack. It was that simple. Every tiny thing about him. That freckle on his eyelid and the scar on his chest. His taste in music and his corny sense of humour. His heart so full of love and his mind filled with adventures. There was something about him that made her believe that she was the one living in one of those stupid romance movies.

God had a plan for her and her family and Jack and June were part of it.

The hospitals power had been cut by lightening four times already that night. The generators were loud and the lights were flickering.
A young doctor charged into the room. He mustn't have been much older than Poppy. His notes clasped in his thin bony fingers. He looked as if he hadn't slept in years, like he knew his wife would have dinner in the fridge but he's never get a chance to eat it.

"It's still beating Miss Hughes." He muttered calmly.

Poppy turned to him, oblivious to his comment, "What?"

"His heart Miss Hughes," he said, "Jack's heart is still beating."

"I know," she swallowed, "I know."

The doctor sighed, and slumped into the chair beside Poppy. He placed his clipboard on the floor, then looked over at Jack.

"I know about his little girl, June, I operated on her. She's a strong little kid." The doctor said.

"Yeah, Jack and Lucy are doing an amazing job." Poppy replied solemnly.

"They say when a patient has someone to fight for, they hold on for a long time. He's not leaving us yet. His breathing is shallow but his heart is strong. He's cold and tired but he's gonna fight because that little girl needs someone to love and it's his job to do it." The doctor smiled, "I'm Charlie by the way."

"Poppy, and you're right. He's always been like that, well for as long as I've known him anyway."

"Yesterday morning I had a mother come in. She's sprawled on this bed like a mangled piece of meat and she's crying. Understandable, car accident involving a tree, a Sudan and a semi trailer, shakes people up. But in that accident three children were killed and a truck driver. The truckie and his daughter died at the scene as did the mothers two young sons. She cried for the families that she demolished and she passed away only an hour later." Charlie explained.

"Why are you telling me this?" Poppy asked in confusion.

"I'm not finished. After that patient, I went to check on a lady I've had coming in for about 6 years. She's married, has a stable career and has two young sons. Breast cancer isn't going to kill her anymore, but for a while there she was touch and go. She saved her own life because she knew that she had a family to love and she told me jokingly she didn't trust her husband with the twin boys. My point is, Jack loves life. He won't admit it, but you and I have both seen him ride. We have both seen the way he loves that little girl and how much he loves you. We've both seen the sacrifices he'd make for his mates. I'd want him beside me in Battle or on the footy field any day of the week." Charlie rose from his chair, he fiddled with a few of Jack's oxygen chords before turning to the bewildered Poppy.

"Did I tell you his heart stopped twice in the ambulance?"

She shook her head, a tear slipping from her eye.

"Did I tell you that he wanted us to tell you that he wouldn't ever leave the people he loves so much?"

She again shook her head.

"Poppy, he's not going to die."

And with that Charlie slipped out of the room.

Poppy returned her eyes to the resting Jack. His eyes fluttered as the clock struck 4.

"Jacky I know you're there, my wild colonial boy." She sighed.

Jack heard her voice, he squeezed her hand. Chills raced through his body but he forced his eyes open. He was blinded for a moment and the pain was unbearable.

"Poppy," He rasped. Her head sprung up and tears broke through her eyelashes.

"Yes," her hands cupped his cheeks.

"I'm so sorry." He mumbled.

"No Jack," she shook her head, "I'm sorry, for every thing. I realise now how much I need you. How much Leo stole from me. Jack I never want-"

"Poppy." He craned his neck forward and kissed her. She pushed his head back onto the pillow as she sobbed into the kiss. His hands found their way into her hair and his mind exploded in triumph.

The door opened slowly and the two of them quickly pulled away. A very sleepy and emotional June. She ran forward and through her body onto the bed causing Jack to almost vomit from the pain but he didn't.

He just held the wailing child in his arms.

"I thought you were dead Uncle Jack. You had the death eyes like mum did." She cried.

"June, kiddo, I'm never going to leave you. I promise with all my heart. I'm glad you're alright. I'm sorry I scared you. I though I'd lost you too." He felt a tear run down his cheek as she held onto his neck.

"No, we'll never lose each other. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever because we've lost too much already and God wouldn't take away anymore of our love." June whispered, bringing more tears to Jack and Poppy's eyes.

He pulled the two girls close to him;
"I promise to love you both till the day I die."