Chapter 30: More About Lucy

Jack lay in his bed, staring out the window at another beautiful sunrise he'd been blessed with. The birds drifted with the soft wind and the magpies warbled their greetings. The warm quilt that engulfed his body bought comfort and his radio played a tune from his childhood.

June clambered in the bed, snuggling under his heavy arm. Her head rested below his chin, Jack smiled at the groggy little girl.

"I'm sorry about last night kiddo." He whispered.

"It's alright Jack." June mumbled through a yawn.

"It's not alright my girl," he said, rolling her over so he could look her in the eyes. "No man should ever yell at you, not one, that's not how little girls and ladies should be spoken to. I shouldn't have yelled at you Juney, I shouldn't take my anger out on you, but I promise everything will be just fine."

"Thanks Uncle Jack." She smiled, winding her arms around his neck as they lay against the bed.

His alarm began to sound, making them jump as it pierced the silence of the warm morning. The two of them laughed as Jack scooped the little girl into his arms.

"How does Bacon and Eggs sound?" He winked, she nodded vigorously.

-
June rested her head against Jack's shoulder as they danced around the kitchen. Zac Brown Band tunes were humming on the radio, and June sang nearly every word.

Jack couldn't get Poppy off his mind. The fact that Leo was sleeping under the same roof as her, made his skin crawl. Mr Hughes had told him not to worry about Leo, and that 'he'd sort him out', but Jack wasn't sure.

He set her down at the table, a plate of bacon and eggs wafting under her nose.

"Mum used to make this, we had sausages too, and baked beans." June explained, shovelling some egg into her mouth.

"My mum used to make it like that too." Jack replied, he sighed softly watching the little girl fondly.

"You know Uncle Jack, when Mum died, we were singing, just like we do in the car." June said.

Lucy loved music, it was almost like her escape from the world. When their father passed away, it was Lucy's responsibility to pick the songs that they would play and in the following weeks, she'd sit on their bedroom floor and play Cold Chisel and The Seekers songs on repeat.

"Can I guess which song it was?" Jack sniffed.

"Go on!" June smiled, she loved the last happy memory she had of her Mum. June didn't see her mother in her mind as the pale skinned and blue lipped woman bled against the steering wheel, but as the bright and smiling woman who sang and laughed.

Jack thought for a moment, if he knew his sister well enough, it could have been one of three songs.

"Way Out West the one with James Reyne and James Blundell?"

"Nope not that one." June shook her head.

Right, that took that one out.

"Me and Bobby McGee?" Jack asked, "sung by Janis Joplin?"

"Nup!" June replied, Jack knew it instantly.

"It's a Garth Brooks song isn't it?" Jack smirked.

June curled her lips in, trying to bite her tongue.

"Much too young to feel this damn old, it is isn't it? It is?" Jack lent over the table and tickled her cheeks.

"Yes! yes! Stop!" June squealed, her little fingers latched onto his ear and Jack jokingly fell to the floor. As the laughter died down, Jack pulled his knees to his chest, June swung her legs under the chair as she looked down upon her Uncle. June clambered down from the chair and leaned against his strong body.

"Mum hit the tree very hard Uncle Jack, she screamed a lot before she closed her eyes. She told me not to cry, and that she loves me and that Uncle Jack would love me just as much as she did. She held my hand so tight it hurt but I didn't care because holding Mum's hand is my favouritest thing in the world." She explained, Jack chuckled softly under his breath at her use of words. 

"Would've you come back? If Mum didn't die would've you come back to us Uncle Jack?" June's little voice touched his heart and her big blue eyes made him sigh.

He recalled the day he held her. Tears rolled down her cheeks, smudging her mascara and causing her nose to run. Her knuckles were white as she gripped the back of his collar, subtly begging for him to stay. He rested his chin gently in her shoulder, his back hunched as she was shorter than him. She asked him specifically to promise her that he would come back and he cupped his huge hand around the head of the new born that laid in her arms. He looked into his sisters eyes before stepping onto the bus, without another word. He watched her wave with tear filled eyes, neither of them knowing that this would be the final time either one of them saw each other. 

Jack wiped away the tear that threatened to fall from his eye, before wrapping his arm around June, drawing her body into his chest and holding her as tight as he did her mother. 

"I dunno baby," his voice cracked, "but I'm so glad I had to."

"Mum said that, if I hurt to much to just close my eyes and my head hurt a lot and my neck too, so I closed my eyes and when I opened them again, you were there, I don't even remember the doctors." June sniffed. 

"Hey kiddo, I promise you that I'll keep you safe for forever, your Mum promised you so much love and I'm the one who will always give it to you. We're so lucky to have everyone here, we all love to watch you grow and we will love you for forever." He muttered lovingly. 

June just smiled and pressed a kiss against his cheek, "I love you."

"I love you more kiddo."