Chapter 35: Missing - P 1

It was a freezing night about a week after Leo had departed, a Wednesday to be precise. Strong winds blew down the mountain side sending chills through Drovers Paradise and down the spins of all that lived there. The shutters on the windows clattered and the doors would slam as the wind hissed through the houses that stood firmly on the ground.

Poppy hated when the weather got like this. When an uncontrollable storm floated angrily from the mountains. It was almost like the storms brought ghosts of old drovers' that trying to haunt the station and the cemetery on the mountain didn't make anything any easier. The headstones held the stories of the hundreds of Drovers and their families that had lived, worked and died on Drovers Paradise or in surrounding areas. Sometimes heavy boots could be heard, pounding against the slate of the homestead or rocking against the creaking veranda of the cottages.

June and Jack halted at the mountains summit, their eyes scanning the valleys bellow from onto of their horses. The wind swirled around them and the evening sky grew dark and grey as the minutes ticked by.

"Jack can we go home now?" June asked, her little hands holding tight to the reigns of Marigold.

Jack looked up at the sky, speckles of rain began to spot the earth below and he nodded.
"Time to go kiddo."

So the two of them trotted down the mountain, dodging the fallen timber and holes dug by wombats, dingos and even brumbies. June shuddered as the wind tore through her jacket and scratched at her cheeks.

"It's so cold Uncle Jack." Her teeth chattered as she spoke.

Jack felt goosebumps line his skin as the rain began to pour. He pulled June onto Regret and grabbed Marigold's reigns. He tucked the little girl into his coat, wrapping her tight and using his body heat to keep her warm. He could see the cottages and the yards and the corrugated iron roof of the homestead. It wasn't a long ride, in fact he could do it in five minutes.

Jack didn't have five minutes.

The rain was getting heavier and the wind was getting stronger and he knew he'd be spending the night huddled under a tree if he didn't move quickly. He sped up a bit, Regret's hooves pounding into the soft ground below.

The soft ground.

It broke, slipping out from beneath their feet. Regret tumbled, nickering and squealing. June screamed, her little body flying from Jack's coat. Jack didn't feel much once he hit the ground, his body collapsed into the dirt like a rag doll.

June scrambled to her feet, her throat hurt from screaming and her arm was throbbing. She scanned the area, her heart pounding and head spinning.

"Jack! Uncle Jack!" Her screams echoed through the mountains. She couldn't stop gasping, drawing in air to fill her tiny lungs.

Jack's limp body was pressed against a tree, blood trickled from his forehead and into the dirt below. June grabbed his face, shaking with all the strength she could muster.

"Wake up! Uncle Jack don't you die too!" She cried, she called out for Marigold too. Regret was no where to be seen. It was a long walk back to the homestead and the rain was starting to get heavy.

The old horse appeared, without a scratch on her body. June wrapped her arms around her neck and leant her face against her pounding heart.

"Marigold we gotta get home," She whispered, "Uncle Jack is getting cold."

She hauled her little body onto the horses back. Marigold didn't flinch when she pulled at her mane, she knew her job and she was going to do it.

•••

With her teeth chattered uncontrollably as she burst into the homestead, her little boots clumping against the varnished floor boards. The wind slammed the door behind her, thunder cracked and lightening lit up the night sky. Water dropped from the sleeves of her coat and off the end of her nose.

"Poppy!" She cried out, her voice trailing through the house.

Poppy heard the desperate scream and raced out of the kitchen.
"June," she gasped, "Hey baby girl, what's happened?"

"We came off the horse, Uncle Jack isn't waking up and Regret is gone!" June blubbered, falling into Poppy's chest.

Poppy felt herself fall into a hot flush. She knew this weather brought bad omens. Koori has told her this many times.

"Shh, we'll get him I promise." She rose to her feet.

"What's happened June?" Mr Hughes asked.

"Jack's come off the horse, get the boys we'll leave June with Soph and Rach." Poppy ordered quickly.

Her father nodded, grabbing his coat and pushing on his hat.

"C'mon sweet girl, let's get you warm hey?" Poppy hoisted June onto her hip, and carried her over to Eddie and Sophie's cottage.

Sophie waddled to the door, quickly letting the two of them in.

"Right Eddie grab a horse! Sophie I'm sorry to dump her but Jacky's come off Regret, she's cold and scared." Poppy explained as June wrapped her arms around Sophie's neck.

"I've got her, go find him Poppy." Sophie told her.

"June, I'll help him I promise, you're not gonna lose him kiddo." Poppy kissed the little girl's forehead and ran into the Cold.

•••
"Lochie, Eddie, scan the upper parts. Past Koori's hut towards the summit. Poppy you scan the middle sector. Rachel and I will stick to the bottom. Make use of the UHF, if you find him." Mr Hughes explained, his teeth chattered slightly.

"Righto," Lochie swallowed, "let's go Ed!"

Poppy watched as the two men disappeared into the rain. Their silhouettes were swallowed and eventually out of sight.

She shivered as the wind sliced at her bare cheeks.
"Poppy be careful okay?" Her father ordered.

"Yes Dad you too." She nodded.

"Find him Pop, we can't lose another one." Rachel sniffed, holding in her emotions.

"Don't worry we're not going to lose Jack, not today, not tomorrow, not ever." Poppy promised, before disappearing into the night...