Chapter 26: Lochie and Rachel

The air was cool for a late September morning, but it was the high country, Jack thought nothing of it. He rolled over in the bed to find it empty. He furrowed his eyebrows, he was certain Poppy had been there an hour ago. He shrugged and checked the time.

"7:30, Jesus." Jack yawned, rubbing his eyes as he sat up.

He pressed his feet onto the floorboards, pulling on his track pants and daggy shirt that had the 'Southwark Bitter' beer bottle label on the front. Jack trundled into his room, leaning over the bed on the corner, his hand falling against June's smooth cheek.

"Hey kiddo." He shook her shoulder, "it's wedding day!"

June's eyes shot open and she bolted to the shower. Jack cackled with laughter as the little girl ran through the house, wet as a shag, in search of underwear and her new dress.

"Uncle Jack!" She squealed making him laugh as she ran down the passage. Jack put out his hands and grabbed the girl who was wrapped in a towel, and pulled her into his arms.

"Take a breath, all your clothes are on the chair in our room, exactly where you left 'em." He informed.

June thanked him immensely, letting out a heavy breath and walking into their bedroom. He walked in behind her, grabbing his shirt and tux off the wardrobe door.

"Alright you good? I can get dressed?" Jack questioned.

"Yep!" June grinned her toothless grin, before pushing him out of the room.

Jack shook his head with a smile and trundled into the bathroom, grabbing his R.M Williams boots on the way.

He'd forgotten how proud he felt while wearing a tux. How important and strong it made him feel. He loved how the shoulders sat and how the pants hung, but what he loved most, was the rose he secured on his jacket. That rose symbolised the important day ahead, the day that his new family would remember for the rest of their lives.

He didn't understand why Rachel had only waited two months to prepare everything, it wasn't like she had to book anything a year in advance but two months as an engaged couple really confused Jack. He supposed that perhaps being together since they were 14 was a lifetime in their eyes and like Lochie said 'the sooner the better'. Jack promised himself in that moment to wait at least 6 months before tying the knot.

"Jack!" A fist pounded against the front door.

"Hang on mate!" Jack pulled the door open and saw a flustered and very nervous groom. Lochie was dressed and ready to go, just like Jack was, but the look on his face gave Jack a fair inclination that he was really not ready at all.

"Fuckin' hell Jack," Lochie stressed, "How the hell am I going to get married? I love Rachel with my entire heart but gosh can I give her everything? Really everything?"

Jack cocked an eyebrow and shut the door on him.

"Oi! Open the door! Jack I need help!" Lochie yelled.

Jack sighed and lifted June, who was dressed in her little dress, onto his hip. He opened the door, pushing past Lochie and started walking down the hill towards the homestead.

"What are you doing?" Lochie threw his hands up.

"Aren't you coming?" Jack asked.

-

"Look, it's normal, cold feet is a thing mate." Jack said as he and Lochie rode furiously up to Koori's hut.

"But, I didn't think I'd get them!" Lochie bellowed.

"Can you two make anymore noise?!" Koori snarled from her doorstep.

"Good morning Koori!" Jack dismounted Regret before tying him to a post. "Lochie and I have a question for you."