Field Trip- Part III

Crap

"-and Mr. Stark himself will be offering  a presentation for us at the end!"

Double crap.

I mean, Peter liked Mr. Stark. He really did- loved working with him in the labs and hanging out at the penthouse. But this- everyone will be there. And Mr. Stark will treat him like he always does, so people will have questions, and-and he wouldn't be able to hide behind the internship thing anymore, because he's treated as much more than an intern oh crap- crappity crap crap-

"Hey, Peter- you gotta breathe, man." Peter felt a hand on his chest, and he looked up to see Ned, who was quickly going from excited to worried. MJ had noticed something was wrong, as well, and had gotten up from her seat to kneel by Peter's side. "Parker- Hey. Listen to Leeds. Breathe in, then breathe out. It's not that hard". Peter nodded mutely, focusing on drawing in breath. That didn't fix the problem, though- they were still going to Stark Tower, where Tony was going to call him out in front of all his classmates, and they would all stare at him and ask him how the heck he was on first name basis with a billionaire/superhero- 

"Now breathe out, Peter." Oh yeah. Peter tried to regulate his breathing, but his heart was just beating so hard, and the noises were getting too loud and the sunlight outside increased until he couldn't keep his eyes open- oh no it was happening again. He thought it was over -Please no- he couldn't deal with this right now.

"Overload" Peter breathed out, hoping Ned heard him. His friend must have, because before long, the light behind his eyelids dimmed and the myriad of noises muted to bearable levels. He opened his eyes, and sure enough, his sunglasses and noise cancelling headphones were in place. He was so glad he'd brought them in his pocket, just in case. Still, it sounded like everyone was yelling and the engine's vibrations ran through the bus's metal frame, setting Peter on edge. Ned had scooted away so he wasn't touching his friend, knowing that all of Peter's senses were dialed up. MJ, on the other hand, looked confused. "What? Is that a side effect? -of your abilities?" Peter winced at her jarring voice, though he knew she had spoken at her usual low volume. "Yeah-" he whispered, "-sometimes my senses go haywire and I get too much input." His friend looked confused, as if she was trying to figure something out, then understanding lit up her features. "That's why you fainted- a car horn would definitely overload your brain with signals and cause it to shut down." Peter was thankful for her much quieter tone, but was more  surprised than anything  at her deduction. "Wow." Ned agreed quietly, before slipping back into silence. MJ did the same, going back to lounging on her double seat. She didn't look up from her book for the rest of the trip, but Peter could point out the slight tension in her face, like she was...concerned, or something.

Before Peter could dwell on it any longer, the bus drove over a sunken man hole- the impact jarred Peter from his thoughts and made him wince. Ugh- the headache was coming back.

TONY POV

"I don't care if it takes away a few grand from your per annum- I don't intend to have underpaid employees that work a heck of a lot harder than their ineffective CO. Now, if that's all, you can proceed to send nasty messages to my inbox for me to ignore." With that last quip, Tony terminated the call with a wave of his hand- pepper told him most of the command motions to control his holograms were a bit dramatic- but sometimes you just need to wave away someone's face when they got annoying. 

Now that boring people time was over, he'd proceed to the next item on the agenda- to kiss Pepper  up and make her go to that meeting scheduled for this afternoon that he promised to attend himself. He wondered if she was busy at the moment. "Hey, Fri? Where's Boss Lady?" Tony walked into the penthouse kitchen, in search for a snack- he wasn't sure if he'd eaten that day. "Miss Potts is currently in her office, preparing for a tour group from Midtown School of Science." Tony froze, his head  in the fridge. Midtown? As in Peter's Midtown?  

Suddenly, Tony all but sprinted toward the elevator- "FRIDAY, take me to Pepper." Ooh, this was gonna be good- a perfect opportunity to embarrass his kid-not-kid in front of his friends- a sort of father-figure-but-not-really initiation rite. "Oh, and clear my schedule, m'kay? There's no way in heck I'm missing out on that tour."

"Actually, Boss, you're scheduled to attend-" the door to the elevator opened with a soft ding, interrupting the AI's explanation. "What was that, Fri? I didn't catch that last-?"

"Anthony Stark!" Oh. Look at that. Tony was greeted by an enraged Pepper, who was gripping onto a Stark phone like it was the billionaire's neck. "How dare you tell off a board member and then give them permission to blow up your inbox?! I've gotten a dozen angry threats in the last minute!"

Tony  slowly approached his fiancé, hands up in a sign of surrender. "McRae was being a pompous air bag- or am I not allowed to defend the honor of the love of my life?" Pep's eye's narrowed, "What? Your 88% of the company?" Tony was close enough to smell Pep's lovely lavender perfume, and his head was still attached- so good so far. "No-" Tony reached out and wrapped his arms around his soon-to-be wife. "I meant you. Someone even alludes to your dishonor and I can't control my fury."

"Oh please-" Pepper gently pushed away from him, "-he annoyed you so you told him off and dismissed him with an over dramatic wave of your hand." Tony re-embraced Pepper's shoulders and planted a soft kiss on her cheek. "Speaking of doing what I want- my kid is coming over to the tower with his class for a tour...can I go?" Pepper stared at Tony, face unreadable. "Please, Pep? I've barely been able to embarrass the kid since we've met- I need to see how much power I have over him." Slowly, Pepper's stare turned into a soft smile, and she leaned forward to kiss Tony's nose. "Ok, Tony- you can go because your kid's tour group is already on your schedule." Tony frowned, "mmm-no it isn't." 

"Yeah- for this afternoon."

"I thought that was a bored meeting! Good thing I came to talk to you about it before canceling." Pepper rolled her eyes, and pushed away from her fiancé once more, and began to walk out the elevator. "Oh- and Tony? Don't embarrass him to badly, m'kay? He might not want to come back if you lay it on too thick." Tony scoffed, "Yeah  right, like the kid could get enough of me."

SORRY THIS ONE IS SHORT- WORKING ON THE NEXT (MUCH LONGER) CHAPTER

GOD BLESS!!